Indoor smoking ban now in full effect

smoking ban right in time for my 8th year in a row "i'm quitting" new year's resolution!
YIPPPEE (hack hack) EEEEEEE

I am a non smoker and I am against this ban.
Argentina is becoming more and more like any other overregulated western nanny-state.

But economically, it's still way behind...

Rad said:
Argentina is becoming more and more like any other overregulated western nanny-state.

But economically, it's still way behind...
I'm an ex-smoker and I'm in favor of anything that tends to make smoking difficult. It's not a nanny state vs free choice kind of situation (much less a western state vs a non-western state legal framework if that's what you meant). People who smoke use public hospitals and public resources (taxes) significantly more than those who don't. That's against my economic interests and against the interests of all non-smokers. It's not a nanny state concept to get smokers to stop. It's an effort to curb unnecessary expense of MY tax dollars (pesos). Nevermind the harm that pitiable addicts unable to stop do to themselves.
It's selfish of smokers to think their habit doesn't affect others. That's not even considering the unhealthy effects of second hand smoke or the discomfort caused by others in the vicinity of smokers. It's not unlike people who think it's nobody else's concern that they don't use their safety belts. Shortsighted and inconsiderate.

Cigarettes are taxed high even in Argentina and the government is making a lot of money off them.

This ban is pure nannyism. But my objection is not about this ban per se. It's about the general changes that are happening in much of the World and in Argentina. Every aspect of our lives is being more and more controlled. You may like it, but I don't. I am an adult and can make decisions by myself.

Rad said:

Oh, por favor. We're not talking about something petty like banning cell phone use in restaurants; we're talking about a lethal habit that has caused millions upon millions of deaths worldwide. I wouldn't call anti-smoking laws the product of a nanny-state; I'd call them the product of being evolved. If a smoker wants to slowly commit suicide in the privacy of his own home, by all means, he should do so, but the minute he exposes other people, it becomes a public health threat. Non-smokers should absolutely not be penalized for other people's sad and reckless addiction, and elected officials are just doing their job by ensuring that they are not. How is it any different from drunk-driving laws enacted to protect the lives and welfare of the general public?

starlucia said:
Oh, por favor. We're not talking about something petty like banning cell phone use in restaurants; we're talking about a lethal habit that has caused millions upon millions of deaths worldwide. I wouldn't call anti-smoking laws the product of a nanny-state; I'd call them the product of being evolved. If a smoker wants to slowly commit suicide in the privacy of his own home, by all means, he should do so, but the minute he exposes other people, it becomes a public health threat. Non-smokers should absolutely not be penalized for other people's sad and reckless addiction, and elected officials are just doing their job by ensuring that they are not.

You are forgetting that the restaurants are private too and it should be up to the owners to decide whether they allow smoking or not.

Anyway, I don't think we will come to an agreement here. Obviously, many people like this, so good for them. I, on the other hand, am in the minority that prefers true freedom. Argentina is losing points.

Rad said:
You are forgetting that the restaurants are private too and it should be up to the owners to decide whether they allow smoking or not.

Anyway, I don't think we will come to an agreement here. Obviously, many people like this, so good for them. I, on the other hand, am in the minority that prefers true freedom. Argentina is losing points.
The right to extend your fist ends where my nose begins.

scarface said:
The right to extend your fist ends where my nose begins.

Yes, and this regulation violates this right.

There is no "right" to bend any restaurant to your taste. The owner should decide and you have a choice to use his services or not.

Back