Industria Argentina , Is There Anything That Doesnt Break?

I think you are absolutely right. There are two separate issues here:
1 - protection of a local industry, of the local jobs, etc.
2 - the various mistakes the government makes in trying to implement it

I think your premiss that the trade barriers are in place to "protect local industry" is wrong. That might be the excuse, but I hardly think that is the real motivator. The real motivator is to maintain dollar servers at all costs.
Cristina's power is centered on the current clientelistic relationship the government has with the electorate, specially the lower classes.
The reality is that Cristina buy votes, via all the "para todos" initiative. That requires lots of funds. However Argentina has been locked out of the international markets since the 2002 default, so she can't finance it that way. The other option is through massive money printing, which is what she is doing. The side effect of that is that Argentinians are dumping pesos and buying dollars. So there are very few reserves. Without dollars, the clientelistic model fails and politically expensive reforms become necessary.
So the reality is that it is all about preserving dollars and the current model that keeps her in power. All this talk about protecting the industry is all BS.

I think your premiss that the trade barriers are in place to "protect local industry" is wrong. That might be the excuse, but I hardly think that is the real motivator. The real motivator is to maintain dollar servers at all costs.
Cristina's power is centered on the current clientelistic relationship the government has with the electorate, specially the lower classes.
The reality is that Cristina buy votes, via all the "para todos" initiative. That requires lots of funds. However Argentina has been locked out of the international markets since the 2002 default, so she can't finance it that way. The other option is through massive money printing, which is what she is doing. The side effect of that is that Argentinians are dumping pesos and buying dollars. So there are very few reserves. Without dollars, the clientelistic model fails and politically expensive reforms become necessary.
So the reality is that it is all about preserving dollars and the current model that keeps her in power. All this talk about protecting the industry is all BS.

I disagree. The motivation to implement it might be clientelistic or not. To win the next elections or not. To have power or not. But that is nothing new in democracies. And there are several theories in political science trying to explain exactly that motivation behind the a policy.
The important thing is that those policies protecting local production are implemented. The current policies regarding dollar and all are a different topic.

I disagree. The motivation to implement it might be clientelistic or not. To win the next elections or not. To have power or not. But that is nothing new in democracies. And there are several theories in political science trying to explain exactly that motivation behind the a policy.
The important thing is that those policies protecting local production are implemented. The current policies regarding dollar and all are a different topic.

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the specific case of Argentina now. The driver of this policy here and now has nothing to do with protecting business and everything to do with protecting the existing policy that keeps her in power.

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to the specific case of Argentina now. The driver of this policy here and now has nothing to do with protecting business and everything to do with protecting the existing policy that keeps her in power.
I too was referring to Argentina. You can explain the motivation with 'power' (as you can explain almost everything that happens in politics with that theory) or with other theories and frameworks. In the end what counts is that the policies were established. If they are useful or not we will most likely never agree upon.

Jump on the aliexpress gravy train (before the correo collapses). At least then you are buying crap at prices that scream crap (though you will have to involve two admittedly shonky Argentinian products in the transaction - Correo Argentino and the peso):

Las compras en las webs chinas colapsaron los envíos del Correo | Aduana, AFIP, China - Infobae

Its ok, correo aregentina are doing everything they can to protect the local market too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNbH8vC4yV4

Any Scots want to invest in 28,800 cans of irn-bru?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/131385556/Irn_Bru_Soft_Drink_330ml_Cans.html

we just need to know a customs agent and we're set for at least a year! :lol:

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Ahora-pondran-controles-compras-Internet_0_1029497059.html

AFIP are adding 100 new jobs to the economy!

Back