Inflation expected to top 30% this year

tez said:
So what about investing in Argentina? How do people feel about that?
I know Argentines who are looking to invest OUTSIDE of the country. But I don't know many who are looking to invest IN.

Those tens of thousands of people marching on the Plaza de Mayo with signs that said absolutely nothing about the disappeared, but rather about their political candidate, their trade union, their activist group are all that you need to understand that in a country that gives a holiday to the country so that it can protest, the people WITH money want to get it the hell out of here.

nikad said:
In general you do not buy at peak high prices right?

That's right for investment properties. But when buying a home for ourselves, I believe the right time to buy is whenever we need it and can afford it.

Napoleon said:
I know Argentines who are looking to invest OUTSIDE of the country. But I don't know many who are looking to invest IN.

I live part-time in Colonia, Uruguay. Argentines are snapping up whatever goes on the market, and paying crazy prices even for marginal agricultural land. In my area, the price per hectare has quadrupled in the past five years.

Some people are selling good productive land in Argentina and buying in Uruguay, where land is not nearly as productive. Such is the power of the K's insane agricultural policies.

I recently saw something that said that Argentina had the lowest returns of any SA country in terms of return on investment on rental properties. That being said, if one is buying for oneself, I think as SaraSara said, you buy what you can when you can. I don't think it is a bad investment if you are buying a place for yourself to live in. However, if you are buying a rental property and looking for big returns - well, I would not be buying here.

sergio said:
Nowadays few have anything positive to say about Menem though he was successful in taming inflation...

It would appear like that if you borrow money instead of printing it. Kinda what the U.S has been doing for the last 10 years.

ElQueso said:
The thing about a book like that is that it contains good elements of truth - but only half truths. It doesn't tell the other half of the story, like it's the corruption and greed in their own countries that allowed bad deals to be made, it's the ongoing corruption and greed that ensures the populace will remain ignorant of any other way to do things because it benefits those in power.

I believe it does. The U.S corrupts some of these leaders by bribing them, paying their election campaigns. And if that doesn't work they can always try assassination and military coups. Have you read the book? Do you know what the U.S has done here in Latin America? Do you seriously think Argentina is an exception?

ElQueso said:
The history professor tells her class all the time, with venom (my sister-in-law, being from Paraguay, actually feels quite uncomfortable with the amount of hate the teacher displays), that the United States is evil, that it is absolutely bent on keeping Argentina poor.

That's what imperialist nations do. They protect their own interests. And having Argentina rich and prosperous is not in line with their interests.

citygirl said:
I recently saw something that said that Argentina had the lowest returns of any SA country in terms of return on investment on rental properties.

A friend has three rental apartments in Recoleta, returning about 6% after expenses. No idea how that compares to other cities.

SaraSara said:
That's right for investment properties. But when buying a home for ourselves, I believe the right time to buy is whenever we need it and can afford it.
Well, it is all about points of view. Of course buying your home is a must, but why would you want to give away 30-40% of that money? I could buy a property now, however I decided I will rent until prices go back to normal and in the meantime I invest some of the money in other ventures and grow it. By the time I buy, I will be buying something a lot bigger or will have a nice amount of money saved. There is no way I would buy as an investment right now, unless it was a unique property.

Vandalay said:
This site already puts inflation above 30%, http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

The site puts the canasta basica inflation at 32.8%, so far this year. Scary.

Does anyone remember the hyperinflation that ushered in the "uno a uno"? At the supermarket, clerks chased us all the way to the checkout, marking up prices of stuff already in our carts.

SaraSara said:
The site puts the canasta basica inflation at 32.8%, so far this year. Scary.

Does anyone remember the hyperinflation that ushered in the "uno a uno"? At the supermarket, clerks chased us all the way to the checkout, marking up prices of stuff already in our carts.
Oh my, I was in my early teens, and they would mark prices up 4-5 times a day at the supermarkets, that was insane! :p

Back