Inflation measured in USD?

FuturoBA

Registered
Good day all. I know inflation is crazy with the ARS, but does anyone have info on how much inflation is wrt to USD in Argentina?? For example I see that in the US inflation is about 3-9% recently, is that similar to how USD is valued in here in Argentina?

Anyone's experience or thoughts would be helpful.

When the blue dollar goes up everything goes up even the Mate. However sometimes the blue dollar increase lags behind the inflation rate.

I have notived that men's clothes are a good deal more expensive than last year - in U$S terms.

Imported things used to be roughly double what you would pay back “home” now they’re triple - al blue..

Impossible to measure. But you will find that sometimes, how to say this...

Some time ago, the Blue spiked to 255, and was then driven back to just under 200. All retail prices increased, but of course they never went back down when the Blue did. Then later, inevitably, the Blue rose past 200 again, and the retail prices were increased again, even though we'd already had increases to cover that. Because Argentina.

That didn't come out as clearly as I'd hoped, sorry. The whole thing is just (insert multiple colorfully vulgar expletives here) weird.

You can't measure inflation in Argentina by the exchange rate with the USD (forex pair). Inflation is one of several important factors in the determining the exchange rate but there are many other macroeconomic factors like trade balance, confidence in the economy, economic growth, interest rates... speculation, etc.

You can't measure inflation in Argentina by the exchange rate with the USD (forex pair). Inflation is one of several important factors in the determining the exchange rate but there are many other macroeconomic factors like trade balance, confidence in the economy, economic growth, interest rates... speculation, etc.
Not to mention time of year, how good the harvest was, (very poor the last three years because of drought), and a mountain of other things.

Since the pandemic I've found the blue to be a lagging indicator, and if we're being honest the dollar should really be closer to $1,000 to 1, not $550. As Red said, the blue goes up, prices follow, but in the rare instances where it goes down, they don't follow it.

If you're like me you can check inflation in dollars via items you have purchased online and have receipts for vs today in pesos, and then use the dolar blue historico to check.

One common metric I use is a 1.75L of Coke Zero at Carrefour. It was $81 ARS (55¢ USD) when I moved back here in December 2020, and it's $523 (95¢) now. Almost doubled in dollar terms, and even worse in pesos. The dollar is only stabilizing vis-a-vis losing less when compared with pesos. This is why I tell people, sure, if you earn/retire in dollars here you'll be fine, but it's not like inflation doesn't impact you, it just impacts you less than 85% of Argentines.

Did some amateur figuring. In 2022, inflation was 106% while the blue dollar rate rose only 73.19%. (Went from $109.48 in Jan. 2022, to $189.61 in Jan. 2023)

This is just my own back-of-the-envelope calculation - do correct me if I got it wrong.

Last edited:
Did some amateur figuring. In 2022, inflation was 106% while the blue dollar rate rose only 73.19%. (Went from $109.48 in Jan. 2022, to $189.61 in Jan. 2023)

This is just my own back-of-the-envelope calculation - do correct me if I got it wrong.
The blue rate in January 2023 was around 350...you are quoting the official rate...the official rate can't be used to determine inflation in Argentina.

Back