Inflation Wingers Post Here!

Top apts have multiple doormen, security guards, maintenance men, amenities like pools, SUMs, parillas, gardens, fresh flowers, parking garages etc, etc. And all those cost LOTS of money which is reflected in the monthly charges. The buiding expensas alone for a 1 BR in a top building could be close to 3400 pesos a month.

What? Any normal apartment has: maintenance men, garages; lots have security guards, SUM, parrillas and gardens; some have swimming pools. But if you are paying 3400 pesos for 1 BR, it must be one of the most expensive places in Argentina. I think that there is 2-tier pricing regarding rents. Anyway, who told expats that they need to live in the equivalent of the Upper West/East Side, with a view of the Park?

I live in a studio in a suburb with a view of Buenos Aires, middle class neighborhood, rent is 200 USD for my place, expenses are 45-50 USD (and they could be less if we get a better administrator). My parents live in a tall building with 24 hs security and constant renovations, their expenses are not significantly higher. I think that you are renting in places for capitalists -do I need to explain what is a capitalist?- that do not care about 1000 USD more or less, after all, is not like they work for it (or TV stars, or certain politicians).

marksoc continues to accuse us of being unworldly as he thinks that most of us come from tiny farm towns in Kansas or something....I will never understand why. Many people on this forum are from very large cities and have lived in countries other than Argentina and their birthplace. I would be very interested to hear about his international living experiences, as well as from the other locals who jump on our asses and get defensive whenever we do the unthinkable (complain about the food options), and then accuse us all of eating fried chicken all the time.

@DontMindMe: It is ok to complain. But it is weird to complain about prices when you are always looking for the top stuff in a top city. Do I complain about the price of a coffee in the Champs Elysees (4-6 Euros maybe?) No, I don´t, I simply walk two blocks from there and then drink my 1,20 Euro cofee, like any Parisian would do.

Things are becoming expensive in USD in BA, but you cannot use apartments in buildings for rich people as parameters. Of course those are expensive, they are for rich people. The prices do not match in that case the service, they match the clients.

About the food: get this, most locals do not care about "ethnic food". They could not eat most of it anyway because local taste do not include spices. Should it change in the future? Maybe, but I would like more a return to well prepared local food, as it is done in France and other European countries. A little bit of sushi, a lot more of real locro, humitas, grass-feed asado (difficult that one) and the rest of the stuff in Doña Petrona´s book.

Some complaints are right, some are a result of different cultural expectations (like the American "the client is always right", well, sometimes he/she isn´t), and some are just a reflection of the difficulties of immigration. Nobody would ask Bangkok to be the same as NYC or London; why should BA be that way?

I'm simply pointing out that top apts are expensive (as they should be) and your comment that you can rent one for 3400 pesos is wrong. My friend (who is porteño) owns a 1 BR in a very nice torre and his monthly expenses alone are a few thousand pesos. That's just a reality. I am not complaining, just pointing out your statement is inaccurate. You can certainly rent an okay studio or 1 BR for 3400 but it won't be in a top building/neighborhood.

Not in a top building I accept it. Not in a top neighborhood, not so sure.

Yes marksoc - I meant top building AND top neighborhood combined - not either/or. You are right, you can certainly find a decent apt studio/1 BR in a nice neighborhood for the prices you mentioned and a guarantor, just won't be in a top building with all the amenities, etc.

Sorry Mark, it was you who said top. You are out of touch with what top looks like in BA today. Citygirl is 100% correct, you can't even come close to top for $3400 pesos. That would be the expensas. Or maybe used to be expensas before the dropped subsidies.

And while you may think it's only foolish expats paying high prices, I can assure you that there are many Argentines living a truly top BA lifestyle. Have a look through Zonaprop, guarantias necessary.

I do believe these last few years have been a boom time for "some" Argentines. Our architect was building condos for one company and they literally paid him in condos. Over the last few years he has acquired 4 or 5. And these are in a fancy block in barrio norte.

perry said:
yes and it makes no sense but the truth is this is considered cheap food in Buenos Aires . Shittys tacos are $ 3 each minimum in Buenos Aires . Do you know any place that they are cheaper ?

YES!!!

La Catrina, on Clay in Las Canitas -- our new favourite Mexican place -- Tacos are $9 pesos each.

We have only ordered delivery from them, not eaten there -- in fact not sure if they have tables. But everything we have ordered has been delicious -- the one thing I recommend is to order extra tortillas (and they are de maiz) -- We order the Alambre (de pollo/cerdo/bistec) for $48 pesos usually. The first time we also ordered an appetizer of guacamole. For two people this was too much food (and my husband can eat!). However they only give you 6 or 8 tortillas with the order, so now we usually order just a main (which comes with a decent amount of guac anyway) and extra tortillas.

EDIT: Btw -- order from them this weekend, who knows, by next week they may have raised the prices by 20% ;)

jb5 said:
Sorry Mark, it was you who said top. You are out of touch with what top looks like in BA today. Citygirl is 100% correct, you can't even come close to top for $3400 pesos. That would be the expensas. Or maybe used to be expensas before the dropped subsidies.

And while you may think it's only foolish expats paying high prices, I can assure you that there are many Argentines living a truly top BA lifestyle. Have a look through Zonaprop, guarantias necessary.

A "top" building with all the trimmings (portero(s), SUM, parilla, pool) in any nice barrio of Capital (read Caballito, Belgrano, Nunez -- we're not even talking Recoleta / Barrio Parque) -- these days has expensas that are out of control. Even a building WiTHOUT the trimmings. Believe me, we are looking for a new place to rent right now. We looked at one in Belgrano a couple of months ago -- 80m2 with cochera, 2 bedrooms, 1 full bath, 1 half bath. Nice place but nothing fancy. No portero, just a service. 1 elevator. Rent was 2800 pesos -- sounds great you say? Yeah, but expensas were 1200 pesos! I asked what additional facilities in the building are we paying for that the expensas are so high -- response: "una cochera descubierta, el mantenimiento del ascensor, y el servicio de limpieza". Zarpado! Not even a covered parking spot and they want 1200 pesos of expensas!

Marksoc might be looking at ads and seeing that rents are lower than 3400 -- but until you find out what the expensas are you can't actually know what you're going to have to pay. Expensas are out of control, especially in top buildings because you have to pay the salary of the portero(s). More buildings are switching to cleaning services because it's just become ridiculous to pay the salaries (not to mention the free apartment that they get).

EDIT: And of course when you sign a 2 year contract you have to expect a raise of 25% or more in your expensas 2x a year it seems -- sign on at 1200 pesos and you'll soon find yourself paying 1500, and probably about 1800 by the time you finish the contract.

Back