Inflation ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Doe

Registered
Way way back on 31 January, 2018, I reported that I bought a small 4 pack of Activa yogurt for $76.99.at a Disco supermarket.
This was just a report and fact. I made no further comment.
I am now reporting that today, 2 March ,I purchased the same 4 pack of Activa yogurt.at the same Disco market. The price is now $86.25.
Again, I will not make another comment..

Inflation is as more mental as economic.. they create it because they are convinced it will exist

Those 4 little pots of 'Activa' (25 gram ones) cost 55 pesos at supemarkets like 'Disco' in France. Crazy to me that so many things have been costing more in Arg than here for almost 2 years now!

It seems like the inflation of prices in pesos aligns with the dollar going up. Just when I see the USD official rate is at nearly 21 and think that my usual purchase will cost me less in USD, I see that the price in pesos has also gone up and I’m flat even or even worst.

It seems like the inflation of prices in pesos aligns with the dollar going up. Just when I see the USD official rate is at nearly 21 and think that my usual purchase will cost me less in USD, I see that the price in pesos has also gone up and I’m flat even or even worst.

This does not surprise me. With so many products and commodities on the world market priced in US Dollars or Euros the effect of currency variation can be significant.

In the UK, within the past few days, two big companies have gone bust. One was a British subsidiary of a US company. The other - well the other started in a spare room in a house around the corner from my mother-in-law and grew and grew and grew. Because I used to be a regular customer of theirs and took an interest in their business I can see how they grew away from their original customer base and never quite managed to find a new one but, as they freely admitted, what killed them was that almost all their stock was imported, almost all of it priced in USD and a fifteen percent devaluation in the Pound Sterling as the money markets adjusted to the prospect of Brexit was more than they could pass on to their customers and so under they went.

Here, companies can and do pass on their increased costs and many avoid going under. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is another discussion. But an understandable thing? Definitely.

I noticed the other day the price of a Kit-Kat in Vea had gone up from 27 pesos to an eye watering 33 pesos. In LaAnonima it cost even more...a staggering 36 pesos. A sure sign they'll be offering a 2-1 deal in the near future.
It's getting beyond a joke when I can buy a bottle of VAT69 Scotch Whisky for the same price as 4 flippin' Kit-Kats.

I'm pretty sure they don't import yoghurt from the US. There is no valid reason for the price increases of Argentine produce other then greed

I started reading the Campo section of Saturday's La Nacion because it was the only bit somebody else hadn't snatched before breakfast. Now I read it because it gives an interesting insight for things that are relevant to Argentina but may not be in the mainstream news.

One of today's main stories is about the increase in the price of grain. The take of the article is about buying your agrochemicals now, before the price rise filters through to fertilisers etc but the fact is, the price of grain, like the price of oil affects everything else. No valid reason for the increase in the price of yoghurt?

By the way, my 30 eggs for 55 pesos became 30 eggs for 65 this week. I'm not complaining: I'm just surprised that the upward price pressure didn't push egg prices up long ago.

By the way, my 30 eggs for 55 pesos became 30 eggs for 65 this week. I'm not complaining: I'm just surprised that the upward price pressure didn't push egg prices up long ago.

By the way, by the way, my 30 eggs for 55 pesos which became 30 eggs for 65 became 30 eggs for 95 this week. Now that did surprise me!

In Belgium you pay for 30 eggs 4,78 EUR which is about 5,90 USD, which would be about 120 pesos, so I would say 95 pesos is still a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back