Inflation

Ries said:
While it is nowhere near as steep as in Argentina, inflation is very real in the USA.

The "official sources" that tell you prices are "dead flat" are,no doubt, the same ones that Christina uses to tell you that its only 5% in Argentina.

I am not an expat- I am a yo-yo, who maintains homes in both countries, and so I am VERY familiar with today's prices in the USA, and anybody who tells you there is no inflation here is blowing smoke in your face.

My health insurance for my family went up $200 a month this year.
It went up $100 a month last year.
My car insurance is up, my flood insurance is up, my homeowners is up.

Gas is at $3.20 a gallon where I live, UP, not down, from earlier in the year.

Most food prices have gone up 10% or more in the last year- how this doesnt register on the federal inflation charts, I dont know, but its true.
For instance, 2 years ago, I was getting fresh, free run chicken eggs from multiple neighbors for a buck and a half a dozen. Now its 3 bucks- 100% inflation in about 2 years, and most of the reason for that was huge inflationary increases in chicken feed.
My local bakery had to stop baking organic flour bread- last fall, the price of organic flour went up over 30% in one jump- he would need to sell organic bread for between $7 and $10 a loaf- thats 40 pesos, for those of you complaining about 17 peso loaves of bread. As it is, his non-organic bread is 5 bucks and up. Its good bread, but still.

Most every state in the USA has raised various taxes in the last year to account for the cuts in federal dollars- that is not, technically, "inflation", except its exactly the same.
For instance, due to tax increases, last month the price of candy bars, gum, and soda pop went up 10% in Washington State. Beer went up around a buck a sixpack. Liquor went up 10%, across the board, in May (we have a state liquor store system, with universally set prices in every store, and everything went up 10%)
Most Utilities have been creeping up at around 10% a year, some much more, as most utilities here are private, not government, and based on oil prices. Propane and Natural gas are both up.

I could go on- Real estate prices in my area of Washington, which went down maybe 5% to 10% in the last two years, are on their way up again. Many homes are back to their 2008 prices.
Real estate taxes are up, my place was just reappraised at a higher rate.

My business expenses are all up. UPS and FedEx have both raised their prices pretty much yearly for the last few years. Raw materials, like the metals I use in my work, are up- they are based on world prices, and chinese consumption is growing monthly.My subcontractors have all raised prices in the last year or two. Little things like drill bits or welding gases keep creeping up in price- nothing has come down, regardless of economic conditions. In fact, aside from a brief dip in real estate, NOTHING I buy went down in price in the recession of the last two years- everything went UP, instead.

Regardless of the hokum the government put out, The actual amount of money it costs to live in my area of the USA is up at least 10% in the last year, more in certain categories.

Not as much as in Argentina, sure, but far from "dead flat".
OK point taken. I also maintain 2 homes and am in Florida at the moment and just tanked up on gas at $2.55 per gal. So I guess the micro econ balances the macro econ. HUH?

Glad someone took the time to add some context. It's easy to do a mindless google search.
Ries said:
While it is nowhere near as steep as in Argentina, inflation is very real in the USA.

The "official sources" that tell you prices are "dead flat" are,no doubt, the same ones that Christina uses to tell you that its only 5% in Argentina.

I am not an expat- I am a yo-yo, who maintains homes in both countries, and so I am VERY familiar with today's prices in the USA, and anybody who tells you there is no inflation here is blowing smoke in your face.

My health insurance for my family went up $200 a month this year.
It went up $100 a month last year.
My car insurance is up, my flood insurance is up, my homeowners is up.

Gas is at $3.20 a gallon where I live, UP, not down, from earlier in the year.

Most food prices have gone up 10% or more in the last year- how this doesnt register on the federal inflation charts, I dont know, but its true.
For instance, 2 years ago, I was getting fresh, free run chicken eggs from multiple neighbors for a buck and a half a dozen. Now its 3 bucks- 100% inflation in about 2 years, and most of the reason for that was huge inflationary increases in chicken feed.
My local bakery had to stop baking organic flour bread- last fall, the price of organic flour went up over 30% in one jump- he would need to sell organic bread for between $7 and $10 a loaf- thats 40 pesos, for those of you complaining about 17 peso loaves of bread. As it is, his non-organic bread is 5 bucks and up. Its good bread, but still.

Most every state in the USA has raised various taxes in the last year to account for the cuts in federal dollars- that is not, technically, "inflation", except its exactly the same.
For instance, due to tax increases, last month the price of candy bars, gum, and soda pop went up 10% in Washington State. Beer went up around a buck a sixpack. Liquor went up 10%, across the board, in May (we have a state liquor store system, with universally set prices in every store, and everything went up 10%)
Most Utilities have been creeping up at around 10% a year, some much more, as most utilities here are private, not government, and based on oil prices. Propane and Natural gas are both up.

I could go on- Real estate prices in my area of Washington, which went down maybe 5% to 10% in the last two years, are on their way up again. Many homes are back to their 2008 prices.
Real estate taxes are up, my place was just reappraised at a higher rate.

My business expenses are all up. UPS and FedEx have both raised their prices pretty much yearly for the last few years. Raw materials, like the metals I use in my work, are up- they are based on world prices, and chinese consumption is growing monthly.My subcontractors have all raised prices in the last year or two. Little things like drill bits or welding gases keep creeping up in price- nothing has come down, regardless of economic conditions. In fact, aside from a brief dip in real estate, NOTHING I buy went down in price in the recession of the last two years- everything went UP, instead.

Regardless of the hokum the government put out, The actual amount of money it costs to live in my area of the USA is up at least 10% in the last year, more in certain categories.

Not as much as in Argentina, sure, but far from "dead flat".

128679892870251417.jpg

Lol @ proof being in the newspapers. Be serious. Look at who owns the newspapers. Their political opponents. I am not saying they haven't done anything wrong but don't be politically naive enough to believe everything you read in the newspaper. That's not proof, that's sensational speculation.

Where would the US be if people believed everything the heard on Fox news. :|

nikad said:
I do not love them for sure! but proof is all over the place, local and international newspapers, and the most important: you see how poverty grows everyday and how they tip the poor to get them to vote for them.. ackkk, I think I need a seltzer now...

AlexfromLA said:
Lol @ proof being in the newspapers. Be serious. Look at who owns the newspapers. Their political opponents. I am not saying they haven't done anything wrong but don't be politically naive enough to believe everything you read in the newspaper. That's not proof, that's sensational speculation.

Where would the US believe if people believed everything the heard on Fox news.

Very true but come on - the Kirchners are about as corrupt as they get. I honestly cannot stomach Cristina nor her bird-shnozzed husband. Not that any of the other politicians here are much better though... Sad.

AlexfromLA said:
128679892870251417.jpg

Where would the US believe if people believed everything the heard on Fox news.
Oh but the difference is that I am not talking about clarin, I am talking about 10 different national newspapers from all political views, and international ones from several different countries PLUs my two dark pair of eyes ;)

Anyone know how the Kirchner clan made money befor Sr. became a govenor?

I've heard they were small town (Santa Cruz) lawyers with inside bank connections who tipped them when a client was in trouble. The bank officers would refuse to refinance troubled loans, and the Ks. would then buy properties for ten cents on the dollar, and give their buddies a kickback.

And kick out the families who then became homeless.

Normally someone in business like that get's killed, somehow they avoided that for 30 years

Does anybody happen to know where the 500.000.000 dollar went from banco Patagonia that was deposited in Switserland in 2001?

Back