Inflation

Start playing the victim !!!!

No, circle jerk is not an insult, I am describing your method of posting. Asking redundant questions with obvious answers that go nowhere.

But go on, you are amusing a couple people.

Ries said:
While it is nowhere near as steep as in Argentina, inflation is very real in the USA.

The "official sources" that tell you prices are "dead flat" are,no doubt, the same ones that Christina uses to tell you that its only 5% in Argentina.

I am not an expat- I am a yo-yo, who maintains homes in both countries, and so I am VERY familiar with today's prices in the USA, and anybody who tells you there is no inflation here is blowing smoke in your face.

My health insurance for my family went up $200 a month this year.
It went up $100 a month last year.
My car insurance is up, my flood insurance is up, my homeowners is up.

Gas is at $3.20 a gallon where I live, UP, not down, from earlier in the year.

Most food prices have gone up 10% or more in the last year- how this doesnt register on the federal inflation charts, I dont know, but its true.
For instance, 2 years ago, I was getting fresh, free run chicken eggs from multiple neighbors for a buck and a half a dozen. Now its 3 bucks- 100% inflation in about 2 years, and most of the reason for that was huge inflationary increases in chicken feed.
My local bakery had to stop baking organic flour bread- last fall, the price of organic flour went up over 30% in one jump- he would need to sell organic bread for between $7 and $10 a loaf- thats 40 pesos, for those of you complaining about 17 peso loaves of bread. As it is, his non-organic bread is 5 bucks and up. Its good bread, but still.

Most every state in the USA has raised various taxes in the last year to account for the cuts in federal dollars- that is not, technically, "inflation", except its exactly the same.
For instance, due to tax increases, last month the price of candy bars, gum, and soda pop went up 10% in Washington State. Beer went up around a buck a sixpack. Liquor went up 10%, across the board, in May (we have a state liquor store system, with universally set prices in every store, and everything went up 10%)
Most Utilities have been creeping up at around 10% a year, some much more, as most utilities here are private, not government, and based on oil prices. Propane and Natural gas are both up.

I could go on- Real estate prices in my area of Washington, which went down maybe 5% to 10% in the last two years, are on their way up again. Many homes are back to their 2008 prices.
Real estate taxes are up, my place was just reappraised at a higher rate.

My business expenses are all up. UPS and FedEx have both raised their prices pretty much yearly for the last few years. Raw materials, like the metals I use in my work, are up- they are based on world prices, and chinese consumption is growing monthly.My subcontractors have all raised prices in the last year or two. Little things like drill bits or welding gases keep creeping up in price- nothing has come down, regardless of economic conditions. In fact, aside from a brief dip in real estate, NOTHING I buy went down in price in the recession of the last two years- everything went UP, instead.

Regardless of the hokum the government put out, The actual amount of money it costs to live in my area of the USA is up at least 10% in the last year, more in certain categories.

Not as much as in Argentina, sure, but far from "dead flat".

Simply not supported by the facts, prices are falling
consecutively for the last 3 months. Here the inflation stats for the U.S. for the last 100 years or so.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/

gouchobob said:
Simply not supported by the facts, prices are falling
consecutively for the last 3 months. Here the inflation stats for the U.S. for the last 100 years or so.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/

Your "facts" are some online calculator.

Mine are the cancelled checks for what I spend every week.

You MUST be right, I guess.

And I am sure you believe the official inflation statistics for Argentina, too, right?

Ries said:
Your "facts" are some online calculator.

Mine are the cancelled checks for what I spend every week.

You MUST be right, I guess.

And I am sure you believe the official inflation statistics for Argentina, too, right?

No I don't believe the stats in Argentina and yes I do believe your checkbook. However you can't extrapolate from a few items you mentioned to cover the whole country. For example housing prices including rents are down from a couple of years ago, (will start going down again now), mortgage rates are the lowest in decades. It's much cheaper to buy a house than it was a couple of years ago. As prices have fallen many people have had their assessments lowered to reflect the lower values. Of course housing is only one item but it's the biggest monthly item for most people and its substantially cheaper than a couple of years ago.

Lol.

Don't waste your time Ries.

I used to scoff when scientists said the internet had the potential to make people dumber. I am starting to understand some of what they were getting at.

Not a dig at anyone in particular, just a general observation.

Statistics mean little if you don't have the capacity to analytically review the data and leave room for intentional and unintentional human error.

But I digress. I gotta get ready to go out.......................

Theres a great Warren Zevon song-

It says-

"they say these are the good times.
but they dont live around here."

well, thats the way I feel about the economists who put together those stats.

MY real estate taxes went UP this year, on several properties in 2 states.
But, I am sure, statistically, in the US, they went down.

but I dont live around there.

But please, I would love it if you would come with me to the Washington State Liquor store, and tell them that their new 10% price increase in unsupported by the facts...

Real estate taxes should fall if the value of the property falls, don't know your situation, but you might want to appeal your taxes if they are increasing on property that is falling in value. As far as taxes on liquor in Washington state I would say that this has nothing to do with the underlying inflation in the products being offered. Taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco are often raised to discourage their use, again not real inflation in the sense that the cost to produce the product has not changed.

Back