Info on traveling to Brazil

Ok, well I guess I'm just going to be getting the 90 day variety then. I don't speak a word of Portuguese and am only intermediate in Spanish (only been here a month so far) so I hope I won't have too much trouble at the consulate! Thanks for your help.

Some -- not all -- speak English. I highly doubt you'll have any trouble. However, if you get there and have to leave because of a language barrier, I'd be more than happy to help you at the consulate. (You wouldn't have to pay me either, FYI.) People here in Argentina always think I'm Brazilian if I'm speaking Portuguese. I get a real kick out of that! The ONLY time when I'm not thought of as a "gringo!" haha!

Good luck! Let us know how it all goes. It is a pain, but Brazil is totally worth it. If you've never been, you're going to love it.

Whereabouts in Brazil will you be traveling?

This sounds a LOT more complicated than what I had to do get the visa in the US. I got a 5 yr visa, and then when the 5 yrs were up I got a renewal. They never asked anything about employment, bank, etc., although the first time I went I did have to provide proof of vaccination against typhus and yellow fever (but not the second time, I think they dropped the req).

My main question though has to do with how to get to Brazil from BA...anyone ever travel by bus all the way to Rio? I don't like planes. I was thinking of making a stop at Iguazu, so breaking up the trip in 2 sections. If anyone has suggestions about bus companies, either here or in Brazil, let me know. Second question, can you get into Brazil without a return ticket of some kind (I need flexibility).

Third question! Any car rental companies in BA that let you enter Brazil??

Planning to start out in Rio for few weeks and then maybe travel up north. Any suggestions about things to do or not to do in Rio?

I had two five year visas for Brazil issued in Washington, DC. No big problem. Here the SAME amount of money and A LOT more paperwork for only 90 days. It is a joke.

I sent emails to the U.S. consulate here, U.S. Embassy in Brazil, Brazilian Embassy in the U.S., and Brazilian Consulate here requesting to know why this discriminatory policy of 90 day visas was in place. No response from the Brazilians whatsoever. The U.S. embassy here, in their usual fashion, simply responded by stating that was Brazil's policy and they could never interfere. I asked them why they couldn't simply make a phone call to the Brazilian consulate asking why this policy was for 90 days on behalf of American citizens. They could care less. If the State Department personnel working at the Embassy want to travel to Brazil, they are exempt with their diplomatic passports so they could care less about actually doing anything for their own citizens.

DON'T even think about trying to get this done in the U.S. either if you live in Buenos Aires. When they detect that you are flying in/out of Argentina they will redirect you to the Consulate here.

It is a nightmare and I personally will not go to Brazil again until this policy is changed. I do know they are losing LOTS of tourist dollars but they don't seem to mind. Its all about hostility towards countries that require Brazilians to obtain visas. I can even understand a reciprocity visa if it were valid for five years.

Anyway....Brazil is outrageously expensive now anyway. A taxi from the airport in Sao Paulo to the Jardins neighborhood is nearly $US 100. I just won't bother and it is too bad because Brazil is great.

It is very frustrating. I agree that it is Brazil who is getting hurt with this policy. However, I totally see where they are coming from. The U.S. makes getting a visa an absolute nightmare for citizens of countries that aren't members of the visa waiver program. You can at least be grateful that if you live hours away from a consulate that you can mail your documents to them. My Brazilian friends in the south have to schedule an appointment in SP, and then pay for a bus ticket or a flight. I think the answer to your question is obvious: Brazil will stop with the discriminatory practices as soon as the U.S. does.

When you are applying for the visa, you MUST have a roundtrip ticket. I think even a bus ticket would be fine. They will not give you the visa if you do not. That is a guarantee.

My suggest is to buy a 100% refundable ticket or tickets that you can change without being charged a fee. If you're flying from the states, Delta has fully refundable tickets. They are very pricey, but they're refundable. I've bought the refundable tickets the day that I mail my passport to the consulate. I purchase them on a credit card. If the visa has been awarded, which I believe can be viewed online nowadays, I cancel the tickets before my passport even gets back to me via USPS.

If you have an Irish grandparent, you are entitled to an Irish passport. With an Irish passport you can visit Brazil and get a tourist visa on arrival without charge.

ben

Am I understanding correctly that the consulate here can not give you a business visa? I am flying to Sao Paolo for meetings for 2 days and would prefer a business visa as we are considering setting up a company/project there so I anticipate there will be additional trips in the future.

Wait - edited to say I re-read and it appears that it's only 90 days for the tourist visa. We'll see what happens when I ask for the business visa.

citygirl said:
Am I understanding correctly that the consulate here can not give you a business visa? I am flying to Sao Paolo for meetings for 2 days and would prefer a business visa as we are considering setting up a company/project there so I anticipate there will be additional trips in the future.

Wait - edited to say I re-read and it appears that it's only 90 days for the tourist visa. We'll see what happens when I ask for the business visa.

They do issue business visas. I'm not sure how much they will cooperate with you on these potential "additional trips," however. It also seems that the requirements for this visa are a bit more of a pain in the ass.

It would probably be less of a hassle if you just got a tourist visa. If it seems likely that you will be returning, you can go to the Policia Federal to extend the tourist visa (before it expires) up to 6 months.

Just be sure to buy a "I *heart* São Paulo" shirt and take a few pictures of yourself on Avenida Paulista. ;-)

I will be sure to do so ;)

Do you know if the business visa is for longer than the 90 days? I can get a tourist visa but if they will give me the business visa for 1 year or longer, it would make more sense to do that. I already have the letters if I need them.

Back