Info on traveling to Brazil

Yes, the business visa is longer than 90 days. My sister-in-law just got one and said it is good for 5 years. I haven't verified is she is correct though.
citygirl said:
I will be sure to do so ;)

Do you know if the business visa is for longer than the 90 days? I can get a tourist visa but if they will give me the business visa for 1 year or longer, it would make more sense to do that. I already have the letters if I need them.

kristin said:
Yes, the business visa is longer than 90 days. My sister-in-law just got one and said it is good for 5 years. I haven't verified is she is correct though.

Kristin, did your sister-in-law apply for the visa in her home country?

Citygirl, I do know that the consulate in Buenos Aires can't/doesn't give tourist visas longer than 90 days to U.S. citizens. If you apply in the United States, they're generally supposed to give you 5 years for a tourist visa. A friend of mine from Puerto Rico received a 5-year visa. The longest visa I've ever had was a 1-year tourist visa, which I received from the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago.

I don't have any experience applying for the business visa. Unless kristin's sister-in-law applied for the business visa in Buenos Aires, then the 90-day-limit could apply for business visas as well.

When I applied in 2008 for a tourist visa, I explicitly stated on the application that I would be there for 80something days. My roundtrip plane ticket indicated this time period as well. The consulate in Buenos Aires only gave me a visa for 30 days. :rolleyes:

According to their website, the Consulate is (currently) open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. I've gone in there just to ask questions. I'd recommend that. Brazil is a bit more organized than Argentina, but not by much. :) Please let us know how it goes!

Just a clarification, the Brazilian Consulate in BA (Carlos Pelligrini) does grant 5 year tourist visas to U.S. citizens, if you are an Argentine Permanent Resident.

bradlyhale said:
Kristin, did your sister-in-law apply for the visa in her home country?

Citygirl, I do know that the consulate in Buenos Aires can't/doesn't give tourist visas longer than 90 days to U.S. citizens. If you apply in the United States, they're generally supposed to give you 5 years for a tourist visa. A friend of mine from Puerto Rico received a 5-year visa. The longest visa I've ever had was a 1-year tourist visa, which I received from the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago.

I don't have any experience applying for the business visa. Unless kristin's sister-in-law applied for the business visa in Buenos Aires, then the 90-day-limit could apply for business visas as well.

When I applied in 2008 for a tourist visa, I explicitly stated on the application that I would be there for 80something days. My roundtrip plane ticket indicated this time period as well. The consulate in Buenos Aires only gave me a visa for 30 days. :rolleyes:

According to their website, the Consulate is (currently) open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. I've gone in there just to ask questions. I'd recommend that. Brazil is a bit more organized than Argentina, but not by much. :) Please let us know how it goes!

VISA for Brazil for Citizen of Reciprocating Country with DNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GuysInPM
Hi,

Yes, it is not possible to enter Brazil just with your DNI, unless you are a citizen of a Mercosur country. I've been going to Brazil at least once a year since 2007. I have a DNI, and as a US citizen, you need your Passport and a pricey Visa to get in. They offer no entry waiver of any kind for "extranjero" DNI holders. Not for the costly visa, not even for discounts to Brazilian national parks (like Iguazu), something Mercosur citizens usually get. But I should note that there are some border tour agencies that claim to cross you over without the need for a Visa. Only problem is that is illegal, and if you get caught you will face a big fine and possible jail time.

Good for Chile on the DNI waiver. Argentine-DNI holders will also avoid this new reciprocity fee here upon entry. But in both cases, as a US citizen with an Argentine "extranjero" DNI, you still need your US passport to enter either country, or any Mercosur country for that matter. (at least through the main border crossings)

Cheers :)

Okay, since I have had this discussion I have talked first-hand with 4 people (3 Americans, and a Canadian, one of the yanks multiple times) from reciprocating countries with Aregntine resident DNI´s who have told me that they have entered Brazil without visas using their DNI´s without having to produce their passports. In fact, I have heard two Americans arguing about this, one of them calling the one who did it a liar, and I wanted to ask if one of them was "2guysinpm". ;)This is not something I have tried, if I lived closer to Brazil I might.

Again, HAS ANYONE FROM THE US , CANADA OR OTHER RECIPROCATING COUNTRY ACTUALLY TRIED THIS? 2GuysInPM never answered that question.
progress.gif

Just a quick update - consulate is a nightmare.

I went yesterday and was informed that one of my letters (I am applying for a business visa) was not acceptable because it had "printed from gmail" on the bottom. Fine, no problem.

Went back today after re-printing all the letters and was informed that the letter was not specific enough and they had no idea who the client is that I'm visiting (which only happens to be one of the largest companies in the world:rolleyes:). I wish they had told me that yesterday since they read it yesterday.

I am hoping Monday is 3rd time is the charm.

Ah, sounds like a Brazilian consulate! I hope it works out for you on Monday. Keep us posted!

Boa sorte! :)

It did indeed work out for me (I think it was the letters in Portuguese from my clients that helped;)) How did yours go?

Just an FYI - the woman did tell me that the visa will be valid for 5 years so they will give a 5 year visa here in Argentina. This was a business visa.

Hi. We just got back from the consulate. We both got 5 year tourist visas! Yay! no more trips to the consulate until 1015.

Congrats on your biz visa. :)

Interesting - so you got a 5 year visa, I got a 5 year visa and I ran into a guy on the elevator who was telling me he also got a 5 year tourist visa.

Maybe 5 years is now the standard here?

Back