Infographic About Expat Life -- It's Not Always Smooth!

Becoming an expat can be a double edged sword – on one hand, you have the initial excitement and thrill of experiencing a new country and culture – the language, the sights, sounds and smells of a new environment can be very intoxicating.

But as the infographic below shows, once that initial honeymoon period has worn off, there can be a “down time”, where the reality of the move sets in.

http://journeyamerica.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/infographic-expat-life-not-always-a-smooth-ride/

Why not just post the graphic here? It saves everybody a click and it doesn't even display correctly on your blog for god's sake. Nobody likes obvious hit count whoring.

Here is Lost's linked post. The blog page does't say anything more than what he copied and pasted here and the image doesn't even display correctly.

expatLifeStandard.png

I'm surprised this wasn't posted in Newcomers. :rolleyes:

It's hard to move, yes, WE ALL KNOW. Thank you for the people who constantly remind us.
I'm in week 9, no real honeymoon or culture shock or "home" sickness. The stats might be true if you've never traveled
before, but Argentina is country 20 for me* and I'd say I was more surprised by Russia than here.

I only miss my friends but half of them lived here in South America and Europe anyways...

*I just realized that might sound really arrogant of me and I should clarify; I think people who have never traveled or
only went to their neighboring country/culturally similar countries are likely prone to these feelings. I've also been
very lucky so far in my life and am very aware that others haven't been able to travel, even I do believe it's because
most people don't know how cheap it can be.

The plan is to do more than my age, I'm in my early 20's right now at 20 countries, and I'll hopefully do (as is the plan) Uruguay,
Chile, Paraguay, China/Hong Kong/Macau before my birthday next (American) Spring.

Thankyou, a bit too much hit count whoring going on here at the moment, but seeing it was Lost, well... I told myself no, but just couldn't resist.

I know, I'm gonna feel dirty in the morning.

Argentina is #51 for me.

I just realized that might sound really arrogant of me and I should clarify; I think people who have never traveled or
only went to their neighboring country/culturally similar countries are likely prone to these feelings. I've also been
very lucky so far in my life and am very aware that others haven't been able to travel, even I do believe it's because
most people don't know how cheap it can be.

The plan is to do more than my age, I'm in my early 20's right now at 20 countries, and I'll hopefully do (as is the plan) Uruguay,
Chile, Paraguay, China/Hong Kong/Macau before my birthday next (American) Spring.

Of all the requirements for an expat to survive anywhere in the world, I think that a sense of humour is primary, with a sense of the ridiculous thrown in.

the op lost me,can't be two willy nelson's in the universe....can there.

Back