Information needed

chris

Registered
I need some facts and would appreciate some information, so if someone could help I'd be grateful. So far I've just heard a lot of speculation.

1) Does an Argentine national who has CASH $10,000 (saved it before the AFIP restrictions) have the legal right to carry it out of the country -- or has this changed? A friend is worried that if he goes to Ezeiza with money in his pocket he could be prevented from traveling.

2) Does he have to ask the AFIP or some government agency for PERMISSION to leave Argentina. He already has a visa for travel abroad and his ticket.

Thanks

Nobody needs permission for leaving the country with 9.999 USD that had paid taxes. The whole paranoia is because nobody was paying taxes and investing in dollars was the best and easiest way to wash black money. Regards

I flew out Sunday night and there were no checks of any kind for money leaving the country.

No, he should be fine. They're looking for amounts greater than the legal limit of $10,000 USD.

The "asking for permission" law deals with travel agencies and buying dollars specifically for travel from them. If you didn't buy a travel package from an agency and don't need any "travel" dollars (just taking the ones you have saved up from your monthly limit), you're perfectly fine. ;)

My Argentine friend has cash he saved up over a period of time. He wants to take $9,999 USD out when he goes on vacation. He is normally a level headed person but now he is getting paranoid about being stopped at the airport. The airline said that he is still allowed to take the money out but he is not convinced. Anyone else here have personal experience with this or know an Argentine national who has left with $10,000 USD?

Back