Instant Broth....??

Rich One

Registered
Need some advice on where to buy a concentrate or powdered stuff to prepare homemade broth ?

Eons ago I liked a Swift product, a meat concentrate paste in a glass jar??
Coking a kilo of meat to use the drippings to prepare a broth base , escapes my cooking ability!

Thanks

You will find it in any supermarket, but not in the presentation you are used to. Here they come in cube form or sachets of powder.Alicante,Knorr and Maggi are wellknown brands and you find them in the same aisle as the powdered soups.There are meat chicken and panceta flavours and probaly more than than I am aware of.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking on a thick brown gravy!!! for meatballs... :wub:

Ahh,gravy you will need to make the oldfashioned way . Use the fat from the meat,add a bit of flour and brown it stirring all the time. Then pour into the broth to thicken it .For quantities look up "how to make a brown roux" Hope that helps.

Edit : You can cheat too and thicken the juices with potato puree powder .;)

The powdered and cubed things are horrible. I normally make it from scratch but if you lack time Bodega Amparo (on Darwin just off Gorriti) sells reduced liquid concentrate that would be perfect for your gravy.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking on a thick brown gravy!!! for meatballs... :wub:
I just fried meatballs and made gravy for them last night. I am a gravy klutz, but here's what I do...it's fast and easy:
Take 2 of those Knorr cubes and boil them in about 400 ccs of water (I've used both chicken and veggie in the past. Honestly, I don't notice too much of a taste difference). Set aside.
Meanwhile, fry the meatballs in oil and a bit of butter (or whatever, this is what I use). When they're finished, take the meatballs out and pour about half of the broth in the frying pan. Turn the heat back on and scrape the pan to get all the good stuff off the pan and into the broth. Mix this meaty broth and the regular broth together.
Next, take about...oh, idk, maybe half a cup of milk and three tablespoons of flour and mix them together in a separate bowl...Get all the flour mixed up well so it's not lumpy.
Add this to the meaty broth/regular broth mixture. Heat it up, stir it like crazy so it won't burn, and it'll thicken a bit.
Finished!
I make this all the time and it's never gotten weird, lumpy, or horrible.

Wasn't the Swift product called "Extracto de Carne"?

Wasn't the Swift product called "Extracto de Carne"?

Welll Ha ha don't want to date myself, but yes it was my favorite pastime to eat spoon fools of this brown paste similar looking to Nutela...!!

Then it was manufactured under the name of Bovril

459px-Bovril_250g.jpg

Welll Ha ha don't want to date myself, but yes it was my favorite pastime to eat spoon fools of this brown paste similar looking to Nutela...!!

Then it was manufactured under the name of Bovril

459px-Bovril_250g.jpg

The best drink on a cold winters night !!!

Back