Interested in meeting people

Marche exile

Registered
Hi there
I am very nearly 50 (but still think I'm 21!) year old woman moving to BA in Mid Feb for my husbands work. My husband and I are both English but are currently living in Le Marche, Italy. Here in Italy I have the most wonderful network of expat friends who I will miss terribly but am on the hunt for BA equivalents!
I am looking for fun loving girls who like to enjoy themselves. I understand we will be located centrally in BA, perhaps you would be able to tell me where we should be before my husbands firm put us in some ghetto! :)
Its all a bit scary so all input will be gratefully received, thank you in advance.

Ciao Le Marche,
Welcome to the Forum and to Buenos Aires. My family is from the area around Ancona(Jesi e Cupramontana). You will feel at home here in Argentina due to the large population of Italians. My family immigrated here in 1900 and live mostly in the area around Rosario.
If you have a choice of places to live then choose the neighborhoods of Recoleta,Palermo Botanico or Palemo Chico. You would feel very comfortable in any of these locations since they have excellent services and are considered safe.
Buona Fortuna e Buon Viaggio!!
Rick

Thanks so much for your reply it was most helpful and it was kind of you to answer.

I suggest that the best thing to do is to have the company put you in a temporary rental for a month, while you look at places for yourself.
There is such a wide range of different options and compromises within each area. The traffic makes it a noisy city, so tell them you want the rental place to be both quiet and very light inside, and between 3 and 6 blocks from a subte station. As already listed, Recolleta, Belgrano, and Palermo are good places to start out from. Las Canitas is also good.

Marche, the definition of ghetto is a locality where like people live and congragate. Such as Pallermo, Barrio Norte, etc. etc.. There are many areas that are off the map for most expats, but if you want to get to know the city and the people you might want to investigate other options than the common suggestions you might see here. I have lived in San Cristobal for 10 years, know many of my neighbors, have a beautiful home with 500 meters and would not move! It just depends on what you are looking for. You can either live with the people, know the culture, speak the language or act like you are a visitor in a zoo and just look.......Sorry everyone here, but I live in Argentina by choice, get pissed with many things here just like a lot of Argentines. But never have I been degregated for being a North American. By the way, in 10 years I have never been mugged, beaten, robbed In my neighborhood. In Pallermo however, mugged once, Belgrano, beaten after being mugged once, San Martin, Pallermo, Recoleta, etc.etc., ripped off on prices so many times that I can not remember! I suggest that before you commit to any location, stay in a hotel and get to know the whole city, not just "Little USA"

Thanks James for the heads up. I think you speak of every expat community in every city in the world. I am already an expat in Italy so I already know what you mean. I also was born and brought up in London which is a melting pot of cultures. I live in an area now where you haven't got a choice other than to join the community but is very safe. So in your opinion these expat areas are not 'safe'. This move is quite a surprise so you must give me an opportunity to find my feet. I have every intention to test the waters and have already decided that the newly developed areas are not for us so we will probably end up somewhere more earthy.
Thanks again Rx

RicardoBA said:
Ciao Le Marche,
If you have a choice of places to live then choose the neighborhoods of Recoleta,Palermo Botanico or Palemo Chico. You would feel very comfortable in any of these locations since they have excellent services and are considered safe.
Rick

Why is it that expats always go to the same areas? there ARE other parts of this city that are just as comfortable or safe... it's all relative anyway; crime happens all over the place here and not one neighborhood is exempt.
Of course, there are the truly gnarly zones where I would never recommend that anyone go to, but it seems like most current expats would only recommend the same places, most of the threads recommend palermo, recoleta, belgrano, san telmo, or puerto madero.
I live in villa del parque, it's a fine neighborhood, so is devoto, caballito, villa pueyrredón and urquiza just to name a few.

A very interesting answer. I'm getting to the point now that I m thinking that you trip over an expat every step in these so called expat areas, surely not? So would it be better to ask what are the 'gnarly' places? I'd really like to stay somewhere older which is more important to me as we live in a 500 year old house now. Thanks again for your reply. Rx

gpop said:
Why is it that expats always go to the same areas? there ARE other parts of this city that are just as comfortable or safe... it's all relative anyway; crime happens all over the place here and not one neighborhood is exempt.
Of course, there are the truly gnarly zones where I would never recommend that anyone go to, but it seems like most current expats would only recommend the same places, most of the threads recommend palermo, recoleta, belgrano, san telmo, or puerto madero.
I live in villa del parque, it's a fine neighborhood, so is devoto, caballito, villa pueyrredón and urquiza just to name a few.

Probably because for most people these are generally accepted as the best locations to live in, especially if you are new to the city. People know a lot more about these areas, there are more things to do nearby. I'm not sure why it would annoy people that some other areas aren't mentioned.

Back