International Pet Transport Services

If you can't travel with your pet, I know that you can have someone take your pet to Ezeiza and it can travel on the airplane without and you would just pick him or her up at JFK. I might have to do just that if it's too cold in NYC this weekend and they don't allow my cat to board the airplane Aerolienas Argentinas with me.

Hi all,

For anyone who is interested, I got a bit of clarification on this issue of whether or not an agent is needed to transport your pet. Below see a note from the people at Latam Pet Transport (who have been very responsive thus far). They also mentioned that the cargo option is significanty more expensive. A while back I was quoted 1600 USD from another carrier (this included airfare) for cargo transport (verus like $350 USD for the excess luggage price).

There are 2 flight modalities, cargo and excess baggage. On the first modality you don´t need to be on the same flight, the check in has to be done at the cargo terminal of the airport and a broker has to do it (us, not the owner). On the second modality you travel on the same flight, with your pet as excess luggage and you have to inform the airline you will be travelling with your pet when you purchase the ticket. The airline will charge you for every kg your pet (+ crate) weights when you do your own check in at the passenger terminal.

Hi Meri and thanks for posting this. I remain a little confused about one thing...when the owner travels with the pet as excess baggage, are there still prohibitions from checking in your pet if the temp at the receiving airport is too hot or cold? Do all airlines allow this? Thanks again!

If you can't travel with your pet, I know that you can have someone take your pet to Ezeiza and it can travel on the airplane without and you would just pick him or her up at JFK. I might have to do just that if it's too cold in NYC this weekend and they don't allow my cat to board the airplane Aerolienas Argentinas with me.

I thought AAerolineas now allows pets in the cabin?!

Recently, I have been impressed with Aerolineas international flights. definitely better than LAN.

Recently, I have been impressed with Aerolineas international flights. definitely better than LAN.
Aerolineas Argentinas, full fledged airliner? I don't hear of any recent accidents so it must be maintained properly. Then good for the republic
and all its using passengers.

Hi Meri and thanks for posting this. I remain a little confused about one thing...when the owner travels with the pet as excess baggage, are there still prohibitions from checking in your pet if the temp at the receiving airport is too hot or cold? Do all airlines allow this? Thanks again!

Hi - yes - from what I understand the temperature issue is one of the biggest things to consider. So basically the temperature can not be below 10 degrees Farenheit (-12 C) or above 85 degrees Farneheit (29.4 C) in any of the destination locations along the way. For this reason, when transporting between the hemispheres, as I will be doing, you'll probably need to travel in the spring or fall. The thing is - cargo and excess baggage are essentially the same thing in terms of where the animal will be - i.e. with the baggage/not in the cabin. If you are able to fly your pet in the cabin (I'm fairly sure they need to be pretty small - maybe 5 kilo or so?? ) then I don't believe these temp restrictions apply.

The way I understand it is that unless you have a toy sized/lap dog pet you are probably looking at the baggage section of the plane. I would love to be proved differently but I don't think it's the case. My dog is about 10 kilo/20 lbs so a bit too big to fit under the seat. He is also quite a nervous dog and a barker so I can't imagine that would work with the cabin either.

A bit more info - the people I'm speaking with told me to go with United over American Airlines. In their opinion United has a much better animal transportation program. I'm not sure of the other carriers (Aerolinas, Delta, etc).

Every carrier sets its limit, but I recall 6 kg (pet + carrier) being the limit for most airlines I checked. 10 kg is definitely too heavy and he would be very constrained, anyway.
Having read many reviews of various pet owners, I came to the conclusion that it is mostly a matter of luck. You cannot know who will be handling your pet at the departure airport (airport personnel, I mean) and at your destination.

Make sure he wears an ID (a collar with a ID tag) and that the crate is solid and sturdy.

Back