International Pet Transport Services

Hi - yes - from what I understand the temperature issue is one of the biggest things to consider. So basically the temperature can not be below 10 degrees Farenheit (-12 C) or above 85 degrees Farneheit (29.4 C) in any of the destination locations along the way. For this reason, when transporting between the hemispheres, as I will be doing, you'll probably need to travel in the spring or fall. The thing is - cargo and excess baggage are essentially the same thing in terms of where the animal will be - i.e. with the baggage/not in the cabin. If you are able to fly your pet in the cabin (I'm fairly sure they need to be pretty small - maybe 5 kilo or so?? ) then I don't believe these temp restrictions apply.

The way I understand it is that unless you have a toy sized/lap dog pet you are probably looking at the baggage section of the plane. I would love to be proved differently but I don't think it's the case. My dog is about 10 kilo/20 lbs so a bit too big to fit under the seat. He is also quite a nervous dog and a barker so I can't imagine that would work with the cabin either.

A bit more info - the people I'm speaking with told me to go with United over American Airlines. In their opinion United has a much better animal transportation program. I'm not sure of the other carriers (Aerolinas, Delta, etc).

Meri, the temperature cannot be blow 7 degrees C. Not not -12 C. The animals are kept in a different compartment than the luggage. American Airlines nor Aerolienas allows pets in the cabins for international flights, but they used to. My friend came here from NYC with her dog in the cabin but it's a service dog so they allowed it.

https://www.aa.com/i...tURL&title=pets
Heat Restriction Cold Restriction
Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.
Pets cannot be accepted when the ground temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.
When temperatures fall below 20 degrees Fahrenheit ((-6.6 degrees C), pets may not be checked even with a statement of low temperature acclimation.

http://ww1.aerolinea...=45&idIdioma=en

Another note on this subject (which I just now found out about). If you want to fly your pet on United (as I was encouraged to do over American Airlines for the safety of the pet) and they can't fit in the cabin, you will need to check them as cargo (even if you are on the same flight) because United doesn't allow pets as excess baggage. Flying cargo is way more expensive and the quote I just got is 2200 USD. UGH. It's been like a damn puzzle trying to figure out how to piece this together. It is honestly such a frustrating experience.

So in a nutshell, if you want to fly United and you have a dog over 10 lbs or so you are looking at a huge cost.

About 3 years ago a man brought a boxer dog in the cabin with him. He said it was a 'service dog'.

About 3 years ago a man brought a boxer dog in the cabin with him. He said it was a 'service dog'.

I feel like going through the red tape of qualifying myself as someone in need of a service dog would be more complicated than just paying the fee...Although with the stress of this move I might actually fall under the guidelines!

There's a a service advertised online in the US out of California that for about $175us will qualify your dog as a service animal so you can bring it on public transport, planes, etc. and the certificate it gives you is the real one that is usually accepted.

There's a a service advertised online in the US out of California that for about $175us will qualify your dog as a service animal so you can bring it on public transport, planes, etc. and the certificate it gives you is the real one that is usually accepted.

Thank you...Very interesting indeed. I'm just wondering the logistics of that type of arrangement. He's too big to fit under the seat in a carrier - I would imagine I'd have to sort of have him in my lap or something...the thing is, he's really not the laid back type. I can imagine him barking at the flight attendant as she walked by and disrupting the whole flight. Kind of like traveling with a colicky baby. Regardless - thanks for the suggestion. I might as well look into it!

I have two bichons, 10 and 16 pounds. They would have barked the entire way in the cabin - if they'd even been allowed in the cabin. We flew American last September with no problems at all.

An American Airlines official in Dallas explained to me that the temperature restrictions are in place because pets are retained in holding areas before and after a flight and also may be on the tarmac for prolonged intervals. Not all airports regulate temps in the holding areas and of course, the tarmac is exposed to the elements. I brought my dogs from the U.S. to Argentina last fall and got lucky with a unseasonal cool down for the 2 days I traveled. They traveled in a section of the luggage compartment. The entire luggage compartment is pressurized and temperature controlled the same as the passenger cabin.

Don't drug your pet for the trip as it makes them unable to brace themselves in turbulence which means they can be tossed around the inside of their carrier and get injured. Drugs don't last long enough for the long flight in any case.

Good - advice. Thank you. I wasn't going to sedate him because everything I've read has said not to - especially because drugs have such a stronger affect at higher altitudes. I've got a pheromone collar and some natural spray that is supposed to calm them. Can't hurt...I hope he just sleeps. He'd probably be calmer on his own in the cargo section where he can sleep than in the cabin with so much going on.

I am in the process of getting ready to fly to BA with my cat. I am flying on Air Canada from Montreal... the process so far has been

(1) a phone call to Air Canada within 24 hours of booking my ticket;

(2) a preliminary trip to the vet for a general check-up and an update on vaccines;

(3) purchasing of a proper carrier.

The cat will be flying with me in the cabin. The cost was $100 CDN (... $70 USD because of our crappy dollar).

Neither the airline nor the vet said anything about brokers. However, I realize that I am bringing a small cat, not a large dog.

Back