Internet problems :(

Caz

Registered
Hi all, Hoping somebody out there will be able to tell me what the problem is. I am on a Fibertel cable connection here in BA and for about a week now all of my computers (they all connect via a wireless router I have plugged into the cable modem) have problems with downloading software updates and with downloading programs - every file I download (if it is a program) is corrupted and cannot be executed. I have tried everything I can think of at my end - including switching to my backup router that I brought with me (thinking that maybe IT had developed some problem) - and still no solution... This is not an immediate life and death problem - web and email and voip phone stuff is all working - but I simply can't download any program or do any software update without the download being corrupted/utterly stuffed. This is one of the most annoying problems I have ever had and I am at my wits end to know what to do next - but at least if I hear that other people are having similar problems it will tell me the problem is (as I suspect) with Fibertel... Hope somebody can give me a few ideas here. Thanks in advance :)

It is probably that the connection has timed out while downloading.. and i would say the problem is at fibretels end or between you and fibretel if it happens for different files from different websites..

Check that the size of the downloaded file is exactly the same as what it says on the website, and what it states when you first start downloading..

If i have this problem i use a download manager ( http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm ) which can recover from problems like this..

Thanks guys :) Lee: I haven't checked the speed - but downloads looked okay speedwise - anywhere from 80k to 200k per second (a 2mbit connection) - Dave: thats the bitch of it - I thought the same thing myself - get a download manager happening pronto - but guess what the one thing is that I can't do? Download anything that is a binary/executable without it being corrupted - so its a catch22 situation... One thing that makes NO sense at all is this - Avast (the free antivirus program I use) IS still successfully downloading its updates - so I can only assume that its is either using a different protocol or has some download manager type functionality built into it so that it gets it right each time... Talking about frustrating - I have several laptops runnimng mostly Windows 7 or Ubuntu - and whether its hash sum errors in Ubuntu or corrupted file errors in Windows 7 its the same problem - every time :( Today I went offline for a few minutes to grab my backup wireless router and upload my config file to it and get it running in place of the router I have been using ever since I got here - it kicked in perfectly (Linksys WAG320N - nice piece of kit) - and I thought to myself that if there WAS some sort of problem with the wifi that would fix it - and the first download I tried the same thing again... :( What is happening with Fibertel is the next question - but then again, I can't believe that it would be a problem with only one customer - there would have to be lots of other customers affected (logically?)... Anyway - will maybe hit a cafe with wifi tonight to grab a download manager on my smartphone then transfer across to my laptop and take it from there...

if / when you call fibertel you'll have to cable directly into your modem -- they pretty much refuse to help you if you're behind a router. leads to question -- have you tried dloading when connected direct to modem? at least then you could confirm whether or not one of your wifi routers is the issue.

Is the problem the same for all browsers? Make sure you've tried firefox, chrome, safari etc.

If you use firefox or chrome you can install a download manager as an addon or extension without needing to download and run an exe file. Maybe give that a go?

Failing that, maybe try using a proxy?
http://www.freeproxy.ca/

What says windows about? Are you getting some descriptions at your event viewer, errors or warnings, please check this.
By the way at which barrio do you live?

Back