Interrogated by customs on flight out of Rosario. Why?

There may be a double taxation treaty in place, so what you pay as a resident in a country, you may not have to pay anymore to the US, but you stay liable to the US tax authority.

The UK and Argentina have a double taxation treaty (though I don't think it avoids the overseas assets tax in AR because there isn't an equivalent in the UK) but AFAIK there isn't a double taxation treaty between AR & USA

This:

Appears to be a reply to this:

I know that "customs" aka the ADUANA is part of AFIP, but I thought the ADUNA is concerned with imports and exports and AFIP with income taxes, as well as the bienes personales (asset) tax.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but just to clarify for English speaking readers, would it also be accurate to say?:

"Regarding AFIP, your residency status is irrelevant. If you live here over 180 days a year, you are under the local tax law."

You are confused. Both, immigration law and tax law has the 180 plus 1 day rule because they are regulating the art. 14 of the NC that says inhabitants has the following rights...
Customs is looking for contraband. Laptos or drugs. No matter his citizenship, if he stays over 180 days a year he is alike a citizen regarding import restriccion and taxes: he has to pay 50% tax.

You are confused. Both, immigration law and tax law has the 180 plus 1 day rule because they are regulating the art. 14 of the NC that says inhabitants has the following rights...
Customs is looking for contraband. Laptos or drugs. No matter his citizenship, if he stays over 180 days a year he is alike a citizen regarding import restriccion and taxes: he has to pay 50% tax.

Fiscal wrote that he was leaving Argentina and, in spite of the word he used in the title (customs), isn´t it more likely that he was interrogated by migraciones and not customs about the number of stamps in his passport? I can´t find anything in his first post that indicates the interrogation was about importing anything. Perhaps I am confused, but I thought you can only import something when you are entering the country.

That´s why I am ¨guessing¨ that he was interrogated by migraciones and import taxes were not the issue.

His first post in the thread:

After waiting in line and passing security like everyone else, I flashed my passport to the customs official when it's my turn. A guy in a suit comes over, takes me out of the line, and makes me stand in a corner. I asked why. He says "Argentinians only!" very rudely and says "Brazilians here." I say I'm a gringo and he just ignores me. After another twenty minutes of standing in a corner alone, he directs me to a specific booth where the woman grills me on my entry and exit dates. She can't read the stamps correctly so I have to walk her through my entries and exists in EZE. Then she asks what my business is here, why so many exits and entries and I explain. She then randomly asks if my wife is Argentinian or "Mexican" which dumbfounded me. Like why is that relevant, and why Mexican of all nationalities (I do not have a Mexican accent or any native Spanish accent when speaking).

Never had so many problems trying to *leave* Argentina.

Last edited:
Fiscal wrote that he was leaving Argentina and, in spite of the word he used in the title (customs), isn´t it more likely that he was interrogated by migraciones and not customs about the number of stamps in his passport? I can´t find anything in his first post that indicates the interrogation was about importing anything. Perhaps I am confused, but I thought you can only import something when you are entering the country.

That´s why I am ¨guessing¨ that he was interrogated by migraciones and import taxes were not the issue.

His first post in the thread:

I replied you describing the law, not the original post.
Immigration doesn’t care if he is leaving unless he overstayed.
It seems more like it was suspicious for customs regarding drugs.

Back