Introducing myself (better late than never)

Hache

Registered
My name's Hernán. I'm a BA local and spent four years (96-99) in Boston, where I went to college. It was a wonderful time I will never forget. I developed an interest in the expats "phenomenon" because it reminds me of my own experience abroad. Just like Guillermo, I found this board and began lurking. I decided to join when I realized a few comments here and there could help (worst-case scenario amuse :D) some of you while keeping me practicing (and hopefully improving) my English before I forget the whole thing. :rolleyes:

I have to say I find the board fascinating and most of your opinions educating. I know BA can be a tricky place to adjust to. This is a peripheral, developing (is it really developing?) country. Receiving visitors (especially in the numbers they came in the last few years) is something still new to most of us, let alone permanent residents. What isn't new to us is the overall chaos we always lived in. I guess it's just the way we are and I don't expect any big changes. Even I had a hard time adapting after experiencing life in a society that wasn't perfect but coherently developed to say the least.

Still, it's my country and I love it. I know for sure there are lots of things that can make your experience worthwhile. I'm glad you came, and I wish many of you would stay, helping it become a culturally richer and more diverse place.

Hello Hernán,

I´m originally from Ohio. I have never lived in Boston, but I imagine it´s pretty interesting. I spent a year in Arentina right when the Crisis came in 2000 -2001. Incredibly hard time for Argentines and even difficult for many foreigners here.

I imagine you have now adapted quite well to Argentina. I just moved here about 2 months ago but have been living outside of the US for some years now. Do you ever travel to Boston to visit? I remember I would come to Argentina each year for at least a month until I finally moved here. The places where you have been always draw you back, even if it was difficult or stressful there.

Do you have any advice on how to become accustomed to the Porteño way of life? I am new here and would never say I completely understand even my native culture, so your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Annita

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Expat Life 12
T Newcomers Forum 3
R Newcomers Forum 0
Chaya Newcomers Forum 2
Aylla Marie Newcomers Forum 4
Back