Introduction and a Few Thanksgiving Questions

sheawj

Registered
Hiya...
My name is Stephanie and I have been living in Buenos Aires for about a month now. Yeah, not long! I am originally from a small resort town in Washington State, and lived most recently in Spokane for work. I moved here to be with my Argentine fiance who is in med school. Before this I had only visited, but the move had been planned for well over a year.
I belong to another forum concerning Argentina as a whole and it has a subforum about moving and living here. It was handy, but I believe this forum is a better fit with all my questions (and social needs!). I found it while searching for Thanksgiving ingredient answers, and I was sold when I saw the thread concerning getting a haircut in this city. Getting my short hair colored and cut here was admittedly a concern of mine. I will be calling Ryan this Tuesday. :D

Now for three Thanksgiving questions:

1. Where, oh where can I find a pumpkin pie or pumpkin pie filling? I called Kansas to see if they would sell me a whole pumpkin pie, but they can´t. People keep telling me they have seen them in the past, but trips to Coto, Carrefour, Jumbo, and Walmart here in Vicente Lopez have left me empty-handed.

2. Anyone have experience cooking a small turkey in one of those countertop convection ovens? I admit, I am intimidated!

3. Marshmallows? We´re thinking of checking out the Candyland Shop.

As you can see, I am preparing Thanksgiving dinner for my Argentine family, and I am actually very excited!

I am very pleased to meet you all!

Welcome Stephanie!! (Regarding your hair. . you will be very happy with Ryan, he has been doing my hair for over a year and I will actually be there on Thursday!!)

But regarding Thanksgiving. . .you found a turkey?? Where? Not sure about the marshmallows or the pumpkin pie filling but if I hear of anything, I will let you know!!

Bon provecho!!

Hey Stephanie, welcome! Ryan will treat you right :)

As to Thanksgiving and pumpkin, I'm 99% sure that you will NOT find anything pre-made here (if you do please let us know!). That said, you can roast your own squash to make a pumpkin-esque pie of your own. The butternut squash is a really decent substitute for the pumpkins we're used to, has the same color, etc. You can find clove, nutmeg, brown sugar, etc., to do the rest yourself. That's one thing you'll learn here quickly is that if you want something to eat that's not "on the menu" you will have to learn to make it yourself!

I'm also not sure about marshmallows... I have seen some small colored ones but haven't tried them because I am not sure if they are flavored or not (I'm a purist). Candyland may very well have them, and if so I'll be going by to buy some myself.

Anyway, good luck with the turkey (no experience on the cooking method you mention) and have fun!

They have Whole "frozen" turkeys at the Disco on Paraguay (in Palermo Soho). was there today and they had plenty. $21.99/kg and smallest one I saw was about $96 pesos.

Not sure if the ones back home are frozen (i don't think so, but then again I have never cooked Thanksgiving dinner)

Did not see marshmallows, but maybe use pecans on top instead?

mysharonany said:
Welcome Stephanie!! (Regarding your hair. . you will be very happy with Ryan, he has been doing my hair for over a year and I will actually be there on Thursday!!)

But regarding Thanksgiving. . .you found a turkey?? Where? Not sure about the marshmallows or the pumpkin pie filling but if I hear of anything, I will let you know!!

Bon provecho!!

Thanks! I emailed him a few days ago and will be making an appointment within a few days! I hope the wait isn´t too long because my hair is making me insane! I also am not used to this humidity...WOW!

I found a turkey at Coto and I saw some at Walmart at DOT as well. I have heard around that turkeys can sell out all at once, and the clerk at Walmart said they kept them frozen but would have a display up until Christmas.

A&A said:
They have Whole "frozen" turkeys at the Disco on Paraguay (in Palermo Soho). was there today and they had plenty. $21.99/kg and smallest one I saw was about $96 pesos.

Not sure if the ones back home are frozen (i don't think so, but then again I have never cooked Thanksgiving dinner)

Did not see marshmallows, but maybe use pecans on top instead?

Back home, yes, they usually come in frozen and the meat departments will defrost them accordingly. I know at my home store, it was suggested to preorder your turkey and then you could specify if you wanted it defrosted or not. Mine is defrosting as we speak. :)

I read on another website that turkeys tend to sell out quickly here. I am not sure about it, but was a bit panicked and got mine early last week.

Yes, pecans are a fantastic idea! I may just do that, thanks!

MizzMarr said:
Hey Stephanie, welcome! Ryan will treat you right :)

As to Thanksgiving and pumpkin, I'm 99% sure that you will NOT find anything pre-made here (if you do please let us know!). That said, you can roast your own squash to make a pumpkin-esque pie of your own. The butternut squash is a really decent substitute for the pumpkins we're used to, has the same color, etc. You can find clove, nutmeg, brown sugar, etc., to do the rest yourself. That's one thing you'll learn here quickly is that if you want something to eat that's not "on the menu" you will have to learn to make it yourself!

I'm also not sure about marshmallows... I have seen some small colored ones but haven't tried them because I am not sure if they are flavored or not (I'm a purist). Candyland may very well have them, and if so I'll be going by to buy some myself.

Thank you! I am really, REALLY excited for my haircut actually!

And I agree about the ´make it yourself´method. I was wondering if I should just get a gourd and do it completely from scratch, but I think I am wimping out! :p I had a blast last week making peanut tbutter cookies from scratch...before I usually would buy premade dough because I was often too lazy to do them homemade. (Not too lazy to eat them, though!)

I have seen a few types of marshmallows recently. For example, I was shopping for our Halloween feast, and saw some bunny-head shaped ones that were pastel colored. Now all I can find are chocolate and colored ´vanilla´ones. I would use the colored ones if I knew they tasted the same, and am curious how they would look with my sweetpotato dish!

If I find some regular mashmallows at Candyland, I will definitely let you know!

Hello all, first I would like to say it really feels great to have my shop mentioned in one of these forums. I love having visits from fellow expats. As far as marshmallows are concerned, there are no plain white ones here, like the "jet puff" brand we all know and love and took on so many camping trips and made smores with back in the days in the USA. Marshmallows are colored in various shapes, heart shaped, mickey mouse, twist / braded 3 color, pink, light blue, and yellow, and now there are also some mini marshmallows but they are always in short supply. The good news is, they all taste the same, no matter the color and they are the same marshmallow taste as the plain white ones. Hope this helps. Look forward to meeting any and all of you.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

Davidglen77 said:
Hello all, first I would like to say it really feels great to have my shop mentioned in one of these forums. I love having visits from fellow expats.
The good news is, they all taste the same, no matter the color and they are the same marshmallow taste as the plain white ones. Hope this helps. Look forward to meeting any and all of you.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

Ahh, awesome! I was wondering if ´vanilla´was indeed like the ones at home. And even though little pink bunnies or lavendar twisties will look odd in my dishes, it will taste correctly and that is what matters most to me. And perhaps pastel marshmallows in Thanksgiving dishes will be a new trend!!! :p

We are going to stop by your shop because it looks too dang fun to pass up!

Thanks for the help!

Plain white puffed marshmallows do exist. I've bought them at Wal-Mart at Dot shopping at least twice in the last 60 days. As with many things they may be there one week and gone the next. I may stop by today and check.

Back