Introduction and Working at University Question!

zevpoppy

Registered
Hello Beautiful People,

My partner and I have been looking for several years for "home". Meaning a place that serves our needs and has a culture that we feel we belong in. We recently discovered Argentina! We are, thus far, very excited. Everything we learn makes us fall more in love with the place and the people. Watched a great NOVA Documentary called "Thank you Recession" that showed the collapse of the economy and the reaction of the people and we were both so impressed we were moved to tears.

My partner is a University Professor in the states and we would like to explore employment with the Universidad de Buenos Aires. I have not been able to locate a Human Recourses site for them. Does anyone know of one?

I look forward to talking with you all more and learning even more, hearing stories and joys. Thank you!

Wendy

Hello:

It´s impossible for your husband to work for the UBA. First he needs to speak spanish and then you need to have very powerful contacts. He may have more chances on a private university.

These are the most impostants in BA:

Universidad de Belgrano
Universidad de Palermo
UADE
Universidad Catolica Argentina
Universidad del Salvador

Saludos.

Hello

In Argentina professors at the UBA don`t earn good salaries at all, in fact they live on some other activities and teaching at the university give their resumes some prestige but is far from being a profitable activity. Some other do teach mostly because they like being in touch with university activities but not because of the salary they may receive that is far from being good.

In private university it must be different though.
all the best
Reina

Thanks for the helpful tips. Do you think that professors make enough to live on? If not, maybe he should look at teaching English?
Thanks again! This was all great insight.

Wendy

Hello Wendy

No professors here do not make enough to live on teaching at the University, teaching English is better paid specially teaching privately at home or at some companies..on this i don`t have updated information
all the best
REina

English instruction is much in demand, but the hundreds or thousands of people who think they can teach it make for lots of competition and low pay.

I think we're going to look at potential online teaching as an adjunct. I'm a nurse but I don't speak any Spanish right now. I wonder if some of the resorts may like a nurse to work with their English speaking visitors. We don't expect it to be easy. We're migrants. We look at it that way. We plan on working hard, living a simple life (no going out to eat or designer clothes etc.) We just want to be somewhere that we have community and our two boys can grow up safe and healthy and in a place that we believe in. The US is no longer that.

Thank you again for your help!

Wendy

zevpoppy said:
I think we're going to look at potential online teaching as an adjunct. I'm a nurse but I don't speak any Spanish right now. I wonder if some of the resorts may like a nurse to work with their English speaking visitors. We don't expect it to be easy. We're migrants. We look at it that way. We plan on working hard, living a simple life (no going out to eat or designer clothes etc.) We just want to be somewhere that we have community and our two boys can grow up safe and healthy and in a place that we believe in. The US is no longer that.

Thank you again for your help!

Wendy

Resorts? Where are you thinking to live exactly? I get the feeling you have not visited Argentina. It is not really a "resort" type of place. There are ski resorts, but most of the visitors are South American. There are some "resorts" in El Calafate but very small, not at all what I think you're imagining.

I think the best recommendation I can make is for you to see if your husband can take a sabbatical and come down and visit first before making any decisions about a permanent move.

Also, I think if you read the board more you'll understand that entering into the Argentina "community" is actually a very difficult task. Argentines are friendly, but in my experience not many are looking to make friends with foreigners. If you're coming as a family unit that will actually make it more difficult. Epect that your kids will make friends, and maybe you'll see some parents during playdates, but becoming real friends with locals can take years and years and years.

Well syngirl, so I guess I'm the exception to the rule here.. I've met with a couple of people from this site and had a great time. I also have several friends from USA, UK, etc, cause my english teacher works at an expat bar called Fusion/The Buenos Aires Pub Crawl and I have made really good friends there.

So if anyone wants to chat, learn spanish and hang out, you know..

Saludos,

Mariano.

Back