Invest funds for Argentine citizens

toast

Registered
Does anyone care to comment about investments open to Argentine citizens? I am a US citizen and can invest using a US based brokerage firm to hold shares in corporations based in Asia, N America, Europe, as well as bonds. My Argentine friend is anxious about receiving proceeds of her apartment sale here in CABA in US dollars, without an obvious means to reinvest those proceeds without buying another property. What do Argentines do to invest, other than real estate? What about fondos comunes de inversión?

It exists the same but I haven't come across any with a fee structure that would rival a US discount broker. Plus the yearly wealth tax can wipe out any gains.

I would worry about potential gains in pesos. Imagine a stock, bond, or fund, losing half its value in dollars then when calculated in pesos it turns into a taxable gain because the peso lost 75% of its value. Maybe someone can chime in who has one.

In general the majority of Argentines lack financial education, they tend to save in dollars, gold, real estate, CD deposits. Those that have a bit of tech skill might buy crypto. A small percentage invest in local mutual funds, most banks carry them ( Galicia, Santander, etc ). Very few people buy local stocks or bonds. An even smaller percentage invest in foreign funds and stocks and have an overseas account with a broker. It is nothing like what you would see in the US in terms of investing for individuals, there is very scarce information and education unfortunately.

Our former VP CFK invested millions of ARS $ in Argentine Stocks ADRs that trade in Wall Street, in US$ . All legal.

It exists the same but I haven't come across any with a fee structure that would rival a US discount broker. Plus the yearly wealth tax can wipe out any gains.

I would worry about potential gains in pesos. Imagine a stock, bond, or fund, losing half its value in dollars then when calculated in pesos it turns into a taxable gain because the peso lost 75% of its value. Maybe someone can chime in who has one.
Are investment gains fully taxable?

Back