Investment Residence Permit

For example I enter Argentina on Jan 1st 2021, and do not leave the country for more than 6 months each year, then I can apply for the citizenship on Jan 1st 2023?

But for my tourist visa I can only stay inside the country visa-free for 90 days. Can I just stay in Argentina uninterupptedly without applying for temporary visa without any problem? And what if I leave the country for a month after staying for 120 days in Argentina? Will they question why I overstay for 30 days with my tourist visa?

And being able to get citizenship after staying for 2 years sounds too good to be true lol While getting pr needs 3 years of residency and all the difficulties for extending the temporary visa every year. So why bother to do all these while getting citizenship is even easier? I am really curious. Is there other considerations that I have missed?

From Wikipedia page:

The current laws governing citizenship (Ley 346, Ley 23.059, and Decreto 3.213/84) set forth very simple requirements:
  • be 18 years old or older;
  • have been living in Argentina for 2 years; and
  • apply for citizenship before a federal judge.

Citizenship can be denied if applicants:
  • have been in jail for more than 3 years in the last 5 years;
  • are under criminal prosecution;
  • have an illegitimate source of income. To work without a legal permit is considered an illegitimate source of income for most of the chamber of appeals.

As the citizenship law has existed essentially unchanged since 1869 (with modifications by laws 16.801, 20.835, 24.533 and 24951), there are many precedents based on which the Supreme Court is able to resolve almost any immigration-related problem. Citizenship has been granted to immigrants who were not legally resident, worked without a legal permit, or entered the country illegally and, in exceptional cases, even to immigrants with criminal records.

In 2011 the Federal Chamber of Paraná established that nobody can be considered an illegal alien in Argentina, since the concept of legality applies only to actions violating criminal laws. The violation of the immigration law is a simple administrative issue that can be remedied by applying for residency or citizenship.

The continuous 2-year residency requirement means that applicants need to make Argentina their home. However, since applicants enjoy the same civil rights as Argentines, including the right to travel, they may leave the country.

For historical reasons, federal courts are still reluctant to recognize the rights of "irregular" immigrants. They usually request the following requirements related to the abolished law 21.795:
  • Legal residency
  • Legal work
  • Spanish-language ability
  • Birth certificate apostilled and translated by public notary
  • Certificate of a clean criminal record from home country
  • Certificate of a clean criminal record in Argentina
  • CUIT or CUIL number

You can check the laws mentioned in the page.

Something in between.
You don’t need uninterrupted residency, and the lease is the evidence of your will of coming back, but if you are not here 6 months and 1 day per year, it ia difficult to win the case.
I've been to Colonia a few times(only for a day trips) in the last 1.5 years (while having the lease) because I thought that was the wise thing to do... Will that create any issues? Thanks again!

For example I enter Argentina on Jan 1st 2021, and do not leave the country for more than 6 months each year, then I can apply for the citizenship on Jan 1st 2023?

But for my tourist visa I can only stay inside the country visa-free for 90 days. Can I just stay in Argentina uninterupptedly without applying for temporary visa without any problem? And what if I leave the country for a month after staying for 120 days in Argentina? Will they question why I overstay for 30 days with my tourist visa?

And being able to get citizenship after staying for 2 years sounds too good to be true lol While getting pr needs 3 years of residency and all the difficulties for extending the temporary visa every year. So why bother to do all these while getting citizenship is even easier? I am really curious. Is there other considerations that I have missed?
You can apply the day after you arrive, but the judge might process your case right away and wait the second year yo grant it or he can wait for the second year to start it.
To apply is important because it protects you for deportation and rejection.
People do not apply for citizenship because 1) depending where are you from, you might loose your native citizenship; 2) some thinks they are going to have tax issues or 3) they don’t want to spend money in lawyer’s fees.
To read the citizenship law and its decree doesn’t help much because it is very difficult to understand it and easy to missunderstand because is a manumission law.

You can apply the day after you arrive, but the judge might process your case right away and wait the second year yo grant it or he can wait for the second year to start it.
People do not apply for citizenship because 1) depending where are you from, you might loose your native citizenship; 2) some thinks they are going to have tax issues or 3) they don’t want to spend money in lawyer’s fees.
To read the citizenship law and its decree doesn’t help much because it is very difficult to understand it and easy to missunderstand because is a manumission law.
I read on the forum here and it other places online that the US and a few other countries allow dual citizenship with Argentina even when it's through naturalization. I imagine that's still true, correct? Muchas gracias de nuevo!

Sounds like a reasonable approach to citizenship- can anyone say why Argentina is so different in this regard to other nations?

What would be approximately the lawyer’s fee?
Although a passionate Peronist, i assume charge dollars?

I might even add a fourth point to the list: being a tourist (i.e. staying here for tears with a toutist visum) keeps you emotionally at a certain distance from the political madness going on in this country.
Being a citizen, that would be a bit harder. At least I see it that way. Still, at one point I will have to cross the Jordan.

Passionate Peronists love dollars, passionately. Love to keep bags full of them at home.
You guys should trust your spiritual leaders. Now the pesificación is coming, they will bring inflation down, argentina will arise. In short: you will be much better with pesos!

on a serious note: what would approximately be the lawyers fees? I guess that also depends a bit on the complexity of the case... but could you give me a ball park number?

Back