iPhone in BsAs?

zachary_matthews

Registered
planning to bring along my 'jailbroken' 3G iPhone, whats my best bet for local service that i could also use for Skype/ IM/ MMS service

could it be as simple as buying a prepaid SIM?

zach

Yes. I used Claro (they were the local iPhone company) about a year ago. I kept going thru time very fast until I realized I was using a data plan. I had them turn off data for my sim and just used the phone and wifi which is everywhere.

Tom

thanks tom,,i suppose ill gain this knowledge when i arrive.how is the 'market' for iPhones there, i thought i could sell it just before i leave.

zach

Hi I would like to buy an unlocked 3gs iPhone here in ba because they are cheaper than back home in Australia. Does anyone know where I can buy one.I hava already been to personel and claro which only sell the phones on a plan . Thanks for any help you can give me.

orwellian said:
Isn't 3g different in Europe and America?

Yes, 3G frequency varies per country and/or carrier. There are 3 different spectrums as of now. 850/2100 - 900/2100 - 1700/2100. Most of North and South America uses 850/2100 but some countries in Latin America use both 850/2100 and 900/2100 like Venezuela. In the US T-mobile recently got rights to use the 1700/2100 spectrum and AT&T uses 850/2100. Europe and Asia use 900/2100

Amandaot said:
Hi I would like to buy an unlocked 3gs iPhone here in ba because they are cheaper than back home in Australia. Does anyone know where I can buy one.I hava already been to personel and claro which only sell the phones on a plan . Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi Amandaot,

Factory unlocked iPhones are not sold in Argentina (at least not by any authorized resellers). Only a small number of countries do offer factory unlocked iPhones (usually because of local laws). http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97653

The reason they seem cheaper here is because they are locked and tied to a 2 year contract (ie, actual phone cost is subsidized).

You can find new factory unlocked iPhones here in MercadoLibre, but it is likely going to cost more than what Apple sells them for in Australia.

One of our iPhones is a factory unlocked 3gs (32MB). We imported it from Australia via the US. Works great here, without the limitations of a jailbroken iPhone; BUT you still have to sign up for a contract with a local carrier to get 3G data services, etc. w/o going bankrupt. :rolleyes:

zachary_matthews said:
planning to bring along my 'jailbroken' 3G iPhone, whats my best bet for local service that i could also use for Skype/ IM/ MMS service

could it be as simple as buying a prepaid SIM?

zach

Prepaid cards may give you access to the data network, but as mentioned here, it is costly and will eat up your credit charge real quick. If you want to use the 3g network with a plan, you have to get a contract. We have one with Claro. The unlimited data plan is $115 pesos per month (add the standard line rates as well, and you're up to $170/mo).

If you don't care about 3G or can't get a contract, then stick to using WiFi at home or free hot spots throughout the city.

I use my jailbroken iPhone with Claro pre-paid cards.

You can turn off the 3G in the settings menu (I did on my 3GS) and make sure you turn off all "PUSH" notifications with each app you have installed.

90% of my iPhone usage is on WiFi. I have the Skype app which I use to make 99% of all my calls.

Another great app to get is WhatsApp it allows you to send/receive text messages to any other iphone user in the world for FREE on WiFi.. OR if you or the other person have a plan that includes text messages you can activate the "PUSH" notification ON and it will come thru as a regular text. The other great thing is NO need for user id's it works with the persons phone number already in your contacts although the other person also has to have the app installed.

Back