iPhone

I have a few questions if someone can help.. I am new to cell phones so havent got a clue... I have a jailbroken iphone use a prepaid sim from claro.. but when I try to use my home wifi when I am at home I get charged from claro.. in other words my sim gets maxed out in 20 minutes without having made any calls or messages...... because I am being charged internet from Claro... why? whats with that.. do I need to turn something off in settings...because if not I have to remove my sim each time I am home to surf the web with my phone or close wifi on my phone I don't know what settings I need.. I cannot use wifi at home shoot... .. I am confused Thanks....

Try:

Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G = off
Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data = off

That will disable any use of data over the carrier network, while you can still use WiFi.

Oh you saved the day thanks SOOO much quick to lol I love this Site....

I have a 3GS I bought last summer in the US. Jailbroke, unlocked it and now it works well with my prepaid SIM. No cell data though.

My partner is Argentine and we've thought about having him sign up for a data plan. Does anyone know if that would work with the iphone I have from the US? I heard there is some IMEI serial number or something that ATT has hardwired into the phone so it won't work with other carriers for data. (My knowledge of all this is clearly limited). We've gotten this far, but a bit hesitant to sign up for a contract only to discover it won't work for some reason.

@Stafford,

If the iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked, you can get a local data plan for it. There are prepaid options for data, or you can get a contract plan. If you have Movistar, you can text a code to sign up for a limted prepaid data plan so you can test it on the phone. I dont remember the details, but it was posted here a while ago. We have contract data plans for our iPhones.

BTW, the IMEI number is just a unique serial number all mobiles have. There are no blocks for data plans by AT&T based on this number.

@2guys - If there were a Super Thank You button, I would press it. Thank you, this is awesome to know

Iphones are nice but I would never buy one for too many reasons.

I like having a HD 1080p camcorder (30x frames p/second) & 8mpxl cam in my pocket.
Also I like my phone to be totally accessible when I plug in into my laptop..an android phone gives you the option of connecting to your computer as an external hard drive, direct access to your essential data like contacs & pics etc...no need for 'middleman' programs like itunes that slow your system down with updates & advertising etc etc...any operating system will read it.

I recommend you get an Android phone, one suggestion is the new HTC Sensation Xe, it's a great multimedia device & there's no 'Jail breaking' to do...it will work on the local Argentine networks (ensure it's a GSM Quadband phone). There are many other great smartphones too like samsung's Galaxy range.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-sensation-xe/
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I727MSAATT

krishansen4tango said:
I am in the throes of deciding which multimedia device/unlocked phone to buy to use abroad, including extended periods of time in BSAS. I am just back in USA for 3 weeks, and as I understand it (please correct any misunderstanding), though I would love to have an IPhone (I have an Apple laptop) or hi-end Nokia or maybe Blackberry, probably w/ Movistar cards there, I understand that unless permanent resident (I am not), I cannot get a phone contract there, and can only use prepaid cards for buying minutes for everything (which is also a way to get any phone cheaper, I think).

I want phone mainly as phone, but really also want a decent camera in it, and WIFI feature, with internet access available on the go, when possible (sans computer). It seems to me that many features of the phone MAY not be available, just buying minutes, but not sure. Would appreciate all replies also sent to my regular email, if possible, and thank you so much!!:
[email protected]

@notebook.fix

You can do all that with an iPhone; The 4s has a 1080p/30fps video, 8mpixel camera. With iOS 5, iTunes is no longer needed to do updates, and a free app like USB Disk can give you access to store files on the phone and use it like a flash drive. You can also buy factory unlocked iPhones in many countries, including the US, so you don't have to deal with jailbreaks and unlocks hacks.

Technically, there's very little (if nothing) an Android phone can do these days that an iPhone can't do... and vice-versa. The choice is more a matter of preference. Android is more like Windows (highly customizable UI/UX, easily hackable, open platform, and you can install stuff from many sources), while an iPhone is more like a Mac (simple UI/UX, closed platform, controlled source for apps, etc.). The "Windows -vs- Mac wars" redux, but mobile.

Thanks for the note 2Guys, I didn't realize about the itunes change on the latest 4s...but I would still stick with Androids for lots of reasons:

Does the iPhone 4s come with Flash support? - No.

So if your shiny new iPhone breaks for what ever reason can you get your personal data out?
-NO. The iphone 4s does not come with a micro SD card slot, Androids yes.
Why is this important? Well..having your data on your phones micro SD means that if your phone dies, you're most likely to be able to get your personal data out of the phone in a second, no need to run to a Mac center. Androids allow you to back up & store all your contacts, pictures, videos & other personal data to your phone's Micro SD card - you may not always have a computer handy.

If I need to browse the internet I'd much rather use an Android's 4.5" LCD as opposed to the iPhone's 3.5"...also a 4.5" LCD makes a big difference when you want to watch movies.

2GuysInPM said:
@notebook.fix
You can do all that with an iPhone; The 4s has a 1080p/30fps video, 8mpixel camera.
- Finally, but iphones don't have a decent flash, not very handy for night shots ..they still come with the old single flash. HTCs had the dual flash feature a year ago.

2GuysInPM said:
With iOS 5, iTunes is no longer needed to do updates, and a free app like USB Disk can give you access to store files on the phone and use it like a flash drive.
Good to hear...now, what if you loose your Apple propriety USB cable can you just use a standard USB cable like all the others? -NO. Can your iPhone 4s connect to a Linux or win7 machine without the 'free' 'USB disk' app? -NO.

2GuysInPM said:
You can also buy factory unlocked iPhones in many countries, including the US, so you don't have to deal with jailbreaks and unlocks hacks.
Good. About time they caught up with the Androids.

2GuysInPM said:
Technically, there's very little (if nothing) an Android phone can do these days that an iPhone can't do... and vice-versa. The choice is more a matter of preference.

Well, like I said...I'd rather a 4.5" screen than an iPhone's 3.5"... I prefer using a standard USB cable in case I loose my Apple Propriety only cable & I need to charge up my phone! any standard mini USB cable is a 'charger' to an Android phone... I prefer using a Dual LED flash instead of the single flash on the iphone...I prefer Stereo sound recording with my HD video - No stereo recording on the latest iPhone 4s ,,...I prefer HTC's faster Dual core 1.5GHz processor for easy multitasking as opposed to a 1ghz on the iphone 4s...I like the option of an FM radio...I like to output my videos & pictures to LCD TVs & other external devices etc etc etc.

2GuysInPM said:
Android is more like Windows (highly customizable UI/UX, easily hackable, open platform, and you can install stuff from many sources), while an iPhone is more like a Mac (simple UI/UX, closed platform, controlled source for apps, etc.). The "Windows -vs- Mac wars" redux, but mobile.

IOS is a Free BSD Unix variant.

Android is nothing like Windows. Android is Debian Linux based.
Linux has been proven to be far more stable & secure on servers & PCs than windows.

'Open' does not mean, easily hacked. HTC for example encourages customers to only download apps from it's android approved 'Market' repositories. Also your apps can be automatically updated through these too.

I'm pretty sure the question was from 2009 anyways. I guess that's what happens when someone brings back a thread that was started in 2008.

notebook.fix said:
Iphones are nice but I would never buy one for too many reasons.

I like having a HD 1080p camcorder (30x frames p/second) & 8mpxl cam in my pocket.
Also I like my phone to be totally accessible when I plug in into my laptop..an android phone gives you the option of connecting to your computer as an external hard drive, direct access to your essential data like contacs & pics etc...no need for 'middleman' programs like itunes that slow your system down with updates & advertising etc etc...any operating system will read it.

I recommend you get an Android phone, one suggestion is the new HTC Sensation Xe, it's a great multimedia device & there's no 'Jail breaking' to do...it will work on the local Argentine networks (ensure it's a GSM Quadband phone). There are many other great smartphones too like samsung's Galaxy range.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-sensation-xe/
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I727MSAATT

Back