Irish bar The Kilkenny has closed

MilHojas

Registered
The Shamrock has closed for good, too.
Me, I never quite understood the "Irish Bar" thing, but then, I am not Irish.
I am Finn, and we will drink anti-freeze under a highway overpass. No interest in hardwood walls, gold leaf, and "atmosphere".
Barbarians that we are, we believe the universe was created by a blacksmith.

I am Finn, and we will drink anti-freeze under a highway overpass. No interest in hardwood walls, gold leaf, and "atmosphere".
The world was indeed created by a blacksmith - who is also a drunkard with a wicked sense of humor.

The "Irish Bar" thing is a clever way to keep Irish people employed after they leave Ireland. In my young backpacker days working at a famous hostel in Amsterdam, I was adopted by a group of friends from Cork who all worked at different Irish pubs around the city. They had also recently lived in Chicago and San Francisco. "What did you do there?" I asked them. "Work in an Irish pub."

The "Irish Bar" thing is a clever way to keep Irish people employed after they leave Ireland. In my young backpacker days working at a famous hostel in Amsterdam, I was adopted by a group of friends from Cork who all worked at different Irish pubs around the city. They had also recently lived in Chicago and San Francisco. "What did you do there?" I asked them. "Work in an Irish pub."

Actually, the Irish Pub thing is a global corporate chain product, much like McDonalds or Starbucks. There are over 7000 of them worldwide, with several companies offering complete "authentic" packages with everything included. The Irish Pub Company alone has opened 2000 of them.

Of course, some are authentic one location pubs run by individuals, but they are the distinct minority. I dont know about these 2, in Buenos Aires, specifically, but most, globally, came with a manual to teach the owners of the franchise how to do it.
https://www.eater.com/2017/3/7/14839472/irish-pub-design

If you read the article, you will see that many of the "instant" Irish Pubs are sold, as a kit, to Irish expats. Doesnt mean they are not a corporate product. But I understand, the Shamrock predates most of the commodification of Irish Pubs- (although it started in the late 80s). Because of how hard it is to import anything to Argentina, I dont think we have many, if any, of the Pub-in-a-Boxes. But globally, they are everywhere, and most will have a token Irish person, but are owned by locals, purely to make money off the brand. I am sorry I didnt go see DJ's at the Shamrock when I could, several good Dj's I know would play the basement. And not irish music, either...

Back