Is 10k U$S límit to bring to Argentina per person?

The AFIP page doesn't make it clear that the limit is per person, and I have heard of the limit being applied per family group (not in Argentina), so maybe the OP needs to abandon his girlfriend at customs :)
how well does he know his girlfriend to ditch her at the airport with 10k in cash?

The most important thing is to be able to prove that the money is clean, like withdrawal receipts from your bank. That's because even if it's less than $10K, and even though technically you don't have to declare that amount, a law enforcement officer can still seize your cash if they ONLY SUSPECTS the money is related to a crime. All they need to do is come up with a probable cause. Unless you can prove the money is clean, yes, in this scenario, your CASH is guilty until proven innocent. YOU might be innocent until proven guilty, but your CASH will be guilty until proven innocent and they can seize it. Getting that money back could potentially cost you more than the amount they seized! This might sound unbelievable if you're not familiar with this. Google: civil forfeiture. Let me repeat, you do not need to be found guilty of anything for them to take your cash and keep it. Make sure you can prove your cash is clean even if it's less than $10K

^That's highly unlikely to happen though. Unless you are traveling as a group and everyone has exactly $9999 on them or you have suspicious travel history like traveling between colombia and miami every weekend.

But for a single person carrying a $9k stack in cash is nothing, it draws zero attention. It's like carrying 90 000 pesos and you can comfortably stash it in your pocket.

Whatever amount you bring make sure to DECLARE it.

I disagree. My own approach (traveling TO Argentina) was to

(1) always bring LESS than USD $10k (including other currencies, converted to their USD value), and
(2) NEVER declare it, because you followed rule (1)

I never wanted to declare it because I don't trust the customs agents in Argentina. The risk is that they text their accomplice, and you get robbed after passing through customs.

I disagree. My own approach (traveling TO Argentina) was to

(1) always bring LESS than USD $10k (including other currencies, converted to their USD value), and
(2) NEVER declare it, because you followed rule (1)

I never wanted to declare it because I don't trust the customs agents in Argentina. The risk is that they text their accomplice, and you get robbed after passing through customs.
I meant to declare amounts of 10,00$ or more.

Back