Is Argentina truly rabies free for dogs?

Fiscal

Registered
I was walking the puppy of my kid's mother and as we passed a home (the sort of home where the family is living on public assistance and is economically challenged), a dog that lives at the home attacked the puppy. It gave her a pretty deep gash in her hind leg before I could kick it off her. Because it was a weekend in the interior, not vet was open so I tried to treat her myself by shaving the area and applying an anti-biotic I bought at the pharmacy and than bandaging her. She seems fine....BUT she's a puppy....so it is constantly play-biting me, but enough to break the skin. And she has not had a rabies vaccination yet because she is 4 months old. So we could both potentially have rabies. But from Google searching, Argentina is rabies-free for dogs.....

Though the chances are low to get it, I do not think rabies is completely eradicated in Argentina. My Argentine girlfriend was bitten by a street dog a couple of weeks ago and is getting the rabies vaccine (in multiple doses).

Anyway, the dog should be vaccinated and how could you have gotten rabies if you were not bitten?

@Renzi would know. He (she?) has a VERY intimate relationship with some of the street dogs

I was walking the puppy of my kid's mother and as we passed a home (the sort of home where the family is living on public assistance and is economically challenged), a dog that lives at the home attacked the puppy. It gave her a pretty deep gash in her hind leg before I could kick it off her. Because it was a weekend in the interior, not vet was open so I tried to treat her myself by shaving the area and applying an anti-biotic I bought at the pharmacy and than bandaging her. She seems fine....BUT she's a puppy....so it is constantly play-biting me, but enough to break the skin. And she has not had a rabies vaccination yet because she is 4 months old. So we could both potentially have rabies. But from Google searching, Argentina is rabies-free for dogs.....
Sorry to hear about the whole ordeal , can be frustrating for sure, however i wanted to bring up something you wrote, Argentina and google...... not exactly the most trustworthy place to get information from...

Well you have to present proof of rabies vaccination more than 30 days ago to enter Argentina from the US and to enter the US from Argentina so it shows authorities have concerns. For your dog to fly on a plane it has to be examined by SENASA and a vet so I would say the evidence points to it existing here.

Though the chances are low to get it, I do not think rabies is completely eradicated in Argentina. My Argentine girlfriend was bitten by a street dog a couple of weeks ago and is getting the rabies vaccine (in multiple doses).

Anyway, the dog should be vaccinated and how could you have gotten rabies if you were not bitten?

The puppy play bites me a lot, enough to break the skin.

Well you have to present proof of rabies vaccination more than 30 days ago to enter Argentina from the US and to enter the US from Argentina so it shows authorities have concerns. For your dog to fly on a plane it has to be examined by SENASA and a vet so I would say the evidence points to it existing here.
The puppy was bought here, not in the US.

If you take your dog out in public here then it's best to get them vaccinated. If you get bitten by a sreet dog then there is still a chance, albeit very small, of being infected. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it but my Argentine wife still takes rabies seriously.

Back