Is Argentinas Economic Collapse Imminent?

Yes, that's right. There's tons of reserves but more exploration has to be done, or so my friends explained it to me. And although what you are saying is true, but there are actually reserves that have already been explored and prepped and can be extracted in the shorter term. All of that went a bit over my head, but that's the basic gist my friends were explaining to me (who have worked in Argentina as executives for small companies, actually only three friends now that I think about it). The potential with YPF is that they will make energy available in Argentina at a cheap price and won't just go for profitability supposedly. I don't know about the chevron deal at all, but one of my friends (VP of a small oil company for many years here in Argentina) told me that normally the gov. retains 51 percent of sales up front from foreign oil companies and also demands bribes constantly. So that is not an answer to your question but gives you an idea of what the gov. takes from foreign oil companies that come here.

My friend explained that contrary to popular belief, oil companies are just like every other industry. Some companies are very crooked, and others do things aboveboard (which is why his company had to sell their stuff to another company and exit Argentina; they couldn't do business in an honest way without bribing and still make a profit due to the constant halts in production by government officials). My friend is a bit of an oil "apologist" but I think what he is saying is probably true.

Economics is not an easy subject to get across to people like me who simply don't click with it.
Colin may know his stuff as it were, but his interpretation and presentation send me to sleep.

Economics is not an easy subject to get across to people like me who simply don't click with it.
Colin may know his stuff as it were, but his interpretation and presentation send me to sleep.

If you don't know what you're talking about, putting your audience to sleep is one good way around the problem.

Colin Docherty believes that rumours of economic collapse are greatly exaggerated.
I found his article very hard work and still couldn't understand it.
Anyone agree with him?
http://bubblear.com/...veryone-missed/

First of all, "collapse" is a "floating signifier," meaning different things to different people. There's no operational definition here. I read the piece and understood it. It's obscurantist economic-speak, which leaves you none the wiser, but having the vague feeling that something profound has been uttered.

If by "collapse" is meant a complete breakdown of Argentinian society, with rats and dogs being cooked for dinner in a Mad Max world, I don't think that is going to happen. There are the usual problems with incompetent and corrupt Argentinian governance. But a new factor is weak global markets, which will take a toll on Argentina's exports. Expect turmoil ahead. How much can be quibbled about.

is this a sign of collapse? Chez Pauline is closing, no more imported teas available

http://www.infobae.com/2014/02/06/1541938-por-las-trabas-la-importacion-cierra-conocida-casa-te-recoleta

0010659416.jpg

Back