Is BsAs that dangerous??

EufemiaEudoxia

Registered
Guys, I am looking for your help on a safety issue. I am coming to Buenos Aires to study Spanish at UBA. I visited the Argentinean embassy in Warsaw yesterday to ask a couple of questions, because I am coming to Argentina for the first time in my life. The person there told me about the taxis taken from the street, the bags being robbed on the street or what's worse about ransom kindnappings. Do these things really happen like on a regular basis? Will I ( a woman) be safe hanging out on a street alone?? I would really appreciate your help on this.

It's no more dangerous than any typical big city, relax and don't worry. "Will I ( a woman) be safe hanging out on a street alone" If you mean at 4am in a dark street with a nice watch then you're going to have problems, however if you use common sense it's not dangerous here.

I used to work in a factory full of people from poland, they were really funny. In a good way. Kocham Cie!!!!!

EufemiaEudoxia said:
The person there told me about the taxis taken from the street, the bags being robbed on the street or what's worse about ransom kindnappings.

I have lived here for 3 years, and i have meet alot more people who have been robbed here than i did when i lived in capetown... But generally it is not violent crime. I have had my passport pick pocketed, taxi drivers rip me off, and twice people tried to steal my bags at bus stations.
Ransoms and kidnappings - never known anyone who has had that happen - well foreigners anyways ..

It all happens, it just depends where you are at what time. And I think it's much more dangerous than NYC is right now. I grew up in NYC in the mid 80s and early 90s (when it was very unsafe) and BA has the feel to me of NYC back then. If you are cautious and think ahead of time, for the most part, you will be fine. Don't leave yourself open to be pickpocketed, guard your belongings on the subte, and don't put your bags down on the floor (hold them in your lap), and you should be fine.

I'm a 28 year old woman who has been living here alone for over a year without incident. Is Buenos Aires more dangerous than NYC (my previous home)? You bet. But frankly, I feel safer here than I have in certain parts of Los Angeles, Philadelphia, or Orlando, where there were violent rapes, carjackings, home invasions, and drunk-driving accidents every day. Here, there's a lot of petty street crime, and the thieves are good at smelling an opportunity, so the key is to never give them one. Hands on your bags at all times, don't carry cash in your back pockets, don't give cab drivers large bills or walk alone late at night, always count your change. Practice basic street smarts as you would in any large city, and you should be fine. Good luck!

Have you considered studying Spanish in Spain? Barcelona is probably the most beautiful city in Europe or even the world. They speak REAL Spanish (and Catalan, but that's another story) There are many schools and individuals to teach you. Probably much safer than BA. Madrid and Valencia are other good choices. Spain is also closer to Poland.

Be sensible, as you would in any big city, and don´t give people the opportunity and you will be fine. For instance, when you land at Ezeiza you will see lots of signs telling you not to accept rides from unlicenced taxi cabs. It´s good advice - take it. Don´t give a taxi driver a AR$100 note and he won`t be able to switch it or claim a forgery - simple. There is a lot of crime, but not as much as the TV News would have you believe. They just push fear and insecurity because it´s good for viewing figures.

For example, I´ve been walking the streets of Buenos Aires on and off for getting on for ten years now and this Monday, the public holiday, was the first time anyone had attempted anything on me here in all that time. I was walking in Congresso when they played the old mustard/birdshit trick. I simply walked on without breaking my step and they were completely unable to profit from it. My coat is at the cleaners right now so a cleaning bill is my only loss.

It`s a brilliant city. Come here. Enjoy it.

fred mertz said:
Have you considered studying Spanish in Spain? Barcelona is probably the most beautiful city in Europe or even the world. They speak REAL Spanish (and Catalan, but that's another story) There are many schools and individuals to teach you. Probably much safer than BA. Madrid and Valencia are other good choices. Spain is also closer to Poland.

'Real' Spanish :rolleyes:
So what you write is not real English...Dios mío, cuánto tarambana!

BA is pretty safe if you are street smart and don't show off your expensive camera or I-Pod or whatever. I am quite sure 50% of the crime could be avoided if the victims were more careful. Foreigners are seldom victims of kidnappings, that's almost exclusive for us Argentines.

fred mertz said:
Barcelona is probably the most beautiful city in Europe or even the world. They speak REAL Spanish (and Catalan, but that's another story)

Last time I visited Barcelona the locals refused to speak anything but Catalan, and even pretended not to understand Spanish.

Valencia, however, is a very friendly city, beautifully situated.

Back