Is BsAs that dangerous??

Valencia, however, is a very friendly city, beautifully situated.[/quote]

Just back from Valencia, Cordoba and Seville and my god there may be no more divine places in the world to learn Spanish. Made a brief trip to the coast (Javier) and would like to apologise to the entire Spanish population for the sheer destruction of their beautiful coasts by my Irish and British fellow countrymen. Forget Arizona immigration they really should kick any btit out who cannot even take the time to learn Hola, or eat the odd tapas or two.

I have never had any problems living here. As long as you don't make yourself vulnerable you will be safe. Just use common sense and don't draw a bunch of unnecessary attention to yourself, that's what I try to do. Since you a woman though I will tell you this, guys here are a bit stupid on the street. You will get some guys saying things to you and I find the best way to deal with it is ignore them and keep walking like you have somewhere important to be.

Seems like you're saying what the media is telling us is either an exaggeration or just not true. You're also making it look as if the victims are the guilty ones.Nonsense! Crime is getting much worse. I heard that, today, in a building on Arenales near Junin, guys had the doorman open the door. When he did, they had accompany them through the building. When the doorman rang a bell, the resident saw him and opened the door. Everyone was robbed. Unless there are plain clothes police on the streets, I rarely see plice on the streets of centro Recoleta. Also, why don't the police walk the beat, intead of texting all day?

I never said victims are responsible for the crimes. Please don't put words in my mouth. Her question is whether or not Buenos Aires is really that unsafe. In my experience as long as you use common sense and you try to protect yourself then you don't run a huge risk. That's just my experience.

Of course no matter where you are in the world and no matter how careful you are there is crime. And it's really up for each person to judge if they feel that the media is an exaggeration or not, I don't really think going into that debate will help her.

Most of the people responding live in the safer areas of the city. As long as you stay in those areas you are generally alright. Outside of those areas there is rising and increasing crime problem. So the answer to the question is that it really depends on where you live and spend your time.

Think you got a point gouchobob. When you come here it might be a good idea to ask for some help with getting to know the city. Most tourists seem to live in Palermo, Barrio Norte, Recoletta, ect. If you are in Barracas or La Boca you are at a greater risk.

Listen, I just moved from LA and I can guarantee that it is not worse than many areas there...at least you are able to go out late at night and things are not closed sooo early !!!

Regarding to what Spanish is real Spanish, I would advice to do some qualitative research when making those statements...sorry, I am an academic...

Nefertiti said:
Listen, I just moved from LA and I can guarantee that it is not worse than many areas there...at least you are able to go out late at night and things are not closed sooo early !!!

Regarding to what Spanish is real Spanish, I would advice to do some qualitative research when making those statements...sorry, I am an academic...
so you mean "advise" then?;)

laureltp said:
Think you got a point gouchobob. When you come here it might be a good idea to ask for some help with getting to know the city. Most tourists seem to live in Palermo, Barrio Norte, Recoletta, ect. If you are in Barracas or La Boca you are at a greater risk.

Odd, I live well and truly the wrong side of Rivadavia, nothing has ever happened to me and I don't feel the slightest bit unsafe and yet I come to these forums and read with amazement the horror stories, how people know almost nobody in their circle of friends who hasn't been a victim of crime, the fear and paranoia and, yes, these posts are probably at least 80% from expats who live in Palermo/Recoleta/Belgrano. My Argentine wife is similarly amazed, among our circle of friends we know of almost nobody who has been a victim of crime - the best I can think of is a pickpocketing and some rather aggressive begging.

Back