Is Buenos Aires REALLY dangerous?

And I am not really interested in comparing Argentina with dynamics in the US (or in any other Country, for that matter), I asked a question about how safe it is living here since we just moved into a Country (the neighbour being robbed 14 times is an expat living in Argentina since 30 years)
If you refuse to consider any references except for the negative experiences of your neighbor, probably you should hire a private bodyguard and begin with taking short walks in Puerto Madero. Once you're feeling more comfortable and have overcome your fears, you can gradually expand your range to include Recoleta, and eventually Palermo.

And I am not really interested in comparing Argentina with dynamics in the US (or in any other Country, for that matter), I asked a question about how safe it is living here since we just moved into a Country (the neighbour being robbed 14 times is an expat living in Argentina since 30 years)
To tell you the truth, when I first got here, I had a personal rule that I wouldn't go to a neighborhood at night if I hadn't already visited it during the day. So, it took some persuasion to get me to take the subte to Almagro at 9pm. :) And now I find it ridiculous.

well, a tourist was killed in front of the Faena remember so I guess Puerto Madero isn't safe either.

again, I have never feared once being out and about. like any big city, be smart and aware of your surroundings. learn the good neighborhoods and where to avoid (especially at night). take normal precautions to protect yourself and your family, and you'll be fine. no reason to be worried here

well, a tourist was killed in front of the Faena remember so I guess Puerto Madero isn't safe either.

again, I have never feared once being out and about. like any big city, be smart and aware of your surroundings. learn the good neighborhoods and where to avoid (especially at night). take normal precautions to protect yourself and your family, and you'll be fine. no reason to be worried here
Wasn’t that a case of being followed from the airport though? If I recall it was a fellow Brit, and I recall seeing reference to this case on government advice. In any case at the time I didn’t realise it was Faena until after I’d been there. Made me nervous when I saw an article later and realised it was Faena!

If you refuse to consider any references except for the negative experiences of your neighbor, probably you should hire a private bodyguard and begin with taking short walks in Puerto Madero. Once you're feeling more comfortable and have overcome your fears, you can gradually expand your range to include Recoleta, and eventually Palermo.
We've lived in Palermo and San Telmo so far for a few months and never experienced any issue... as I explained before, I'm just asking an opinion about which behaviours could be considered at risk and which ones not (not sure why people in this group must be so defensive though, I understand people constantly question one's choice of living in Argentina, but this was not the case)

Thanks, that confirms the idea I got after living a few months here... not sure why everyone you meet here tells you to be careful and they do their best to share their horror stories with you, while I have not experienced this anywhere else in the world though...

Lived in BA over 10 years ....way over. Never been robbed . However if I go out at night in Recoleta after 10 pm. if I'm blocks away from home I hail a cab or Uber. For $500 pesos it's a life insurance (US$1.35 ). If you can find one..!
Streets are empty... You are the only pedestrian ..! Guess Who will get robbed ?

I like the US-centrism of certain people... I'm from Europe and I never feared being robbed or being shot in the street, which I heard it can happen here. And I am not really interested in comparing Argentina with dynamics in the US (or in any other Country, for that matter), I asked a question about how safe it is living here since we just moved into a Country (the neighbour being robbed 14 times is an expat living in Argentina since 30 years) and I would like to avoid certain situation or at least prevent them by adopting (or not adopting) certain behaviours.
Try Paris for a real hair raising experience. Oh, I suggest you don't play in traffic on the Pan American Highway here.

Next question.

I like the US-centrism of certain people... I'm from Europe and I never feared being robbed or being shot in the street, which I heard it can happen here. And I am not really interested in comparing Argentina with dynamics in the US (or in any other Country, for that matter), I asked a question about how safe it is living here since we just moved into a Country (the neighbour being robbed 14 times is an expat living in Argentina since 30 years) and I would like to avoid certain situation or at least prevent them by adopting (or not adopting) certain behaviouIt
It really depends on where in greater Bs As you are ( the further away you are from the city the better ). As a local I would not live in a gated neighborhood because you are an easy catch ( the rob you when you drive to leave, security people are unreliable, many domestic workers, etc come from surrounding villas, etc ). I would live in Bs As in an open neighborhood in areas such as Areco, Lobos, Cardales, etc. The area just north out of the city ( Vicente Lopez, San Isidro, Accasusso, Olivos, Martinez ) between Libertador and the river is also safe. The city of Buenos Aires is very safe, except for certain areas ( near train stations ), La Boca, near Gral Paz, etc.

I mean, if you live in a barrio cerrado, don't go out at night, move around by car with windows closed... is it really likely to get robbed or to experience some sort of violence? Thanks!!
We've lived in Barrio Chico/Botanico for several years. Very nice. Streets always busy, plenty of police. Never a problem. Lived in LA, Seattle, NYC and Chicago before. Don't ask.

Back