Is It A Good Idea To Visit Brazil This June?

jeff1234

Registered
Of course I've read alot about zika, dengue, the crowds coming for the olympics, the criminals coming for the crowds, civil unrest, etc.
Still people we know have gone there and reported that its calm and pleasant.
So I wanted to tap into your wisdom to see if you had thoughts on it.
I'm thinking of maybe 10 days in Rio, Parati, at the end of June.

I had a great time in Brazil in December. The people are great. My friends have been recently and all love the country. But I would certainly stay away from Olympic venues. I would probably visit places as far away from the Olympics as possible. I personally loved the mountain villages north of Belo Horizonte like Oro Preto and the others on the same route. But I was there during the summer and I don't know how it would be in June.

Is there any month/season and/or area with less mozzies/dengue/zika? I once spent 3 weeks on the Amazon in May, from the Atlantic to Ecuador and had no mozzies at all.

Those who are traveling to Brazil (alphabetically, I'm very diplomatic) with Australia, Canada, Japan or U.S passports will not need a visa from 1 June to mid September. This is for tourism, only. I believe that this policy covers the entire country.
Ten days in Rio? I've ben there many times .....NEVER AGAIN. Brazil has many great cities. Curitiba is wonderful.

We did a similar trip in March a few years ago. With 10 days I would do a couple of nights Rio at the beginning, max 3 Parati, and then spend 4 nights minimum on Ilha Grande -- I would spend the majority of the trip in fact on ilha Grande, though I already know Rio and you may not so you may want to spend time there. Parati the town is nice and there are a couple of excursions you can do, but we preferred Ilha Grande -- you go to a town nearby and take a ferry from there, they can set it up for you at any of the tourist places in Paraty. The island does not allow cars, it is walking and taxi boats. One day we just negotiated a price with one of the taxi boats and he took us to three of his favourite snorkelling places and a place to eat some lunch. The way back to Rio you can make a bit quicker by taking the fast ferry to Angra dos Reis and then the bus up to Rio. There are mini-buses as well that organise the trip and will do hotel drop offs etc.

Back