Is it a good time to go back?

canut

Registered
Been out of the us for so long (10 years plus), thought I might ask if it is not too general of a question whats it like there now and is it a good time to go back. Oriignally from the region, though not exactly from here, Iset out for the US when I was a late teenager, lived for 12 years, got my papers and came back about 10 years ago. I have been toying with the idea of going back now that the prices here seem to be soaring, but I really have no clue as to what city would be a good choice, and what the general state of affairs is. As far as supporting myself, I can take some of the work I do here free lance, and maybe expand it over there. Employment is not an immediate concern but I would like a place that is somewhat dynamic and the general cost of living reasonable (not compared to here but to its own median wage). Any thoughts or ideas would be grealty appreciated. all the best

Your question is hard to answer because we don't know what sort of work you do, what your interests are, whether you want to live in a city, suburbs, country etc. The US is so vast with so many cities, climates, topographies etc. If you could tell us more about yourself readers might be better able to help you.

canut said:
Been out of the us for so long (10 years plus), thought I might ask if it is not too general of a question whats it like there now and is it a good time to go back. Oriignally from the region, though not exactly from here, Iset out for the US when I was a late teenager, lived for 12 years, got my papers and came back about 10 years ago. I have been toying with the idea of going back now that the prices here seem to be soaring, but I really have no clue as to what city would be a good choice, and what the general state of affairs is. As far as supporting myself, I can take some of the work I do here free lance, and maybe expand it over there. Employment is not an immediate concern but I would like a place that is somewhat dynamic and the general cost of living reasonable (not compared to here but to its own median wage). Any thoughts or ideas would be grealty appreciated. all the best

Try New Orleans. I've been in BsAs for nearly six years and moving back to the states before the end of the year. Much of me would rather not, but if I have to, New Orleans is the place in the states for me. I was there for a week a few months ago and I'm sold. While there I ran into two argentines and a brazilian all of whom loved it. I won't go into all the positives and of course there are some negatives, like anywhere. If you have some questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck !

Personally... I would wait a year or more if I were you. Why? The US is by no means out of its economic black hole and resent economic news clearly points this out. While they might pull it together there is a good chance they will not and if they do not the jobs and money situation has the potentilal to become a global event unlike anything we have seen in history.

Its a good time to head back, not for a job, but if you move to someplace with a reasonable cost of living and suffered from the housing meltdown you can definitely find bargains in housing that may be of a once in a lifetime nature. In Argentina I think about the only thing moving forward is more inflation until the economy crashes, perhaps some bargains can be had in Argentina when that occurs. Also remember in the states some areas have been hard hit while other areas are doing quite well and have been hardly effected by the recession and housing bust.

gouchobob said:
Its a good time to head back, not for a job, but if you move to someplace with a reasonable cost of living and suffered from the housing meltdown you can definitely find bargains in housing that may be of a once in a lifetime nature. In Argentina I think about the only thing moving forward is more inflation until the economy crashes, perhaps some bargains can be had in Argentina when that occurs. Also remember in the states some areas have been hard hit while other areas are doing quite well and have been hardly effected by the recession and housing bust.

All true but housing in no where near its bottom yet IMHO. Also the Federal Government is in way over its head financially and with political wrangling. If there is a double dip or depression in the cards it should unfold within the next 12 to 36 months or less.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...sing-market-will-keep-falling/article2046909/

tomdesigns said:
All true but housing in no where near its bottom yet IMHO. Also the Federal Government is in way over its head financially and with political wrangling. If there is a double dip or depression in the cards it should unfold within the next 12 to 36 months or less.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...sing-market-will-keep-falling/article2046909/

You could be right but my view is that the worse is probably over, whereas places like Argentina, Canada, Australia, other commodity producers escaped the recession more or less unscathed. My view is that commodities are a bubble waiting to burst driven by demand from China. When it bursts, sometime in the next 18 months or so in my opinion then those countries are going to be in tough shape, U.S. will look pretty good in comparison when that happens. Right now you can borrow money in the states for less than 5% and buy property at prices last seen 20 years ago. If you buy now (only if it's a distressed property at a big discount) you will be in very good shape in a few years. Interest rates are going to start raising soon. The old adage is true sell when everybody says things are great and buy when there is blood in the streets.

gouchobob said:
You could be right but my view is that the worse is probably over, whereas places like Argentina, Canada, Australia, other commodity producers escaped the recession more or less unscathed. My view is that commodities are a bubble waiting to burst driven by demand from China. When it bursts, sometime in the next 18 months or so in my opinion then those countries are going to be in tough shape, U.S. will look pretty good in comparison when that happens. Right now you can borrow money in the states for less than 5% and buy property at prices last seen 20 years ago. If you buy now (only if it's a distressed property at a big discount) you will be in very good shape in a few years. Interest rates are going to start raising soon. The old adage is true sell when everybody says things are great and buy when there is blood in the streets.
Maybe so and maybe not so. As Tomdesigns points out, things have looked a little more sketchy in the states just over the past week with some poor employment figures and other indicators of the economy maybe slowing again. As for housing, the numbers keep getting worse with no end in sight. And, that is true for most of the country.

All this however is not what Canut is interested in. I think. He made it plain that he wasn't concerned about employment. "Somewhat dynamic and the general cost of living reasonable" was how he put it, in his search for a particular area in the USA. I doubt he is going to buy right away so real estate price is likely not a factor either. And no offense Gauchobob, but I doubt that he gives much of a shit about commodity prices ! Your favorite topic ! LOL.

Go to the Crescent City young man.

. And no offense Gauchobob, but I doubt that he gives much of a shit about commodity prices ! Your favorite topic ! LOL.

Gouchobob has not let up for 5 years about commodity prices in Argentina while they have kept soaring and soaring. There is no hope in hades that commodity prices will collapse in the next years and all indicators are that food prices will soar to unpredecented levels meaning that Argentina could end up being one of the worlds wealthiest countries once again.

perry said:
. And no offense Gauchobob, but I doubt that he gives much of a shit about commodity prices ! Your favorite topic ! LOL.

Gouchobob has not let up for 5 years about commodity prices in Argentina while they have kept soaring and soaring. There is no hope in hades that commodity prices will collapse in the next years and all indicators are that food prices will soar to unpredecented levels meaning that Argentina could end up being one of the worlds wealthiest countries once again.

Bwwahhhh - Pericles, seriously - do you really think there is a chance in hades that Argentina is going to wind up one of the worlds wealthiest countries again any time soon? There's being optimistic and then there's having some serious rose-coloured glasses on.

As for the rest, I do think the US economy will continue to correct itself, especially in the housing market. And I also think that given some of the things happening in China right now, I wouldn't be banking on the commodity market continuing to soar over the next 5 years.

But time will tell.

Back