Is it a good time to go back?

I tell you that we have superceded the 5-year plan.
You know that I am lieing.
I know that you know I am lieing.
- up to here there is nothing unusually (plain old politician game), but

You know that I know that you know - and yet I claim that we have superceded the 5-year plan - and you agree.[/quote]

You're so right..and this has to justify requoting one of the best quotes of all time..why am I giving CFK a hard time when idiocy like this reigned supreme in the US:

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
Donald Rumsfeld

Hello, Mr. Cortazar (Johnny)!
U r absolutely right saying that nobody in N. Orleans grew the extra toes after drinking the tap water over there. ;)
I guess I should have clarified that I have a problem with the taste of the tap water in New Orleans. I probably have too many taste buds on my tongue, but on the other hand who knows how many of those canut has.
I hope this will close the discussion on the quality of the tap water in N. Orleans and let us concentrate on the Armageddon we are all about to witness.:eek:
Regards,
Olynor

jb5 said:
With all due respect, it's time to look at facts. There's a lot of delusion that's part of the culture here. Argentines are proud, and should be, of much this country offers. However, the facts are scary. Argentina did have a fine educational system, but while it's been sleeping, nearly every country in LAM passed it:

This sounds credible but could you supply a link to the source?
Denying reality is typical of the regime running Argentina. We all know how they handle inflation statistics.

Argentina did indeed have a good educational system -- fifty years ago, more or less. The vast number of private schools, ranging from very humble to exclusive and expensive, attests to the deteriorating standards of the state schools. It's very common nowadays for blue collar workers to send their children to some private school. What does this tell us?

The need for English language education, just one example of the system's failings, is great yet the government makes no effort to improve so Argentina remains unprepared for the demands of the 21st century.

jb5 said:
Sure the government could change things. Through good education for the masses. Yet Argentina is behind the eight ball on that too.

That is an excuse.. you do not need the government to educate you PERIOD! If you Aregentines want better education you can make it as collective working together without the government.

And that is one of biggest problems you have in this country... you expect the gevernment to do things for you.

My mother and my father educated me far more then my schools in the US. They made me read books I did not want to read at certain ages. They went over all my homework with me every night without fail and added to it with things they wanted me to learn and understand.

They made me wash the damn dishes every night starting when I was 8 years old. They made me get a job when I was 16... that is if wanted decent clothes to wear because they informed that they were done paying for my clothes.

When I was 14 and 15 I worked on farms in the summer picking berries all day because I wanted some extra cash... My mother found the work for me and my brother and took us to from work every day.. we earned a whooping 15 cents for every quart we picked. At the end of the summer I managed to save about $200 USD after 2 months of that work.

Bottom line they educated me and schools just filled in the gaps with required information.

sergio said:
This sounds credible but could you supply a link to the source?
The PISA student achievement test 2010

In reading comprehension, The United States ranked 17th, ..., Chile 44th, Uruguay 47th, Mexico 48th, Colombia 52nd, Brazil 53rd, Argentina 58th, Panama 62nd, Peru 63rd.

The PISA test math and science results were similar, reflecting a steady decline for Argentina ...

Miami Herald article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/16/1975602/argentina-needs-to-face-education.html

Presentation of the PISA 2010 Results: http://www.oecd.org/document/7/0,3746,en_21571361_44315115_46635719_1_1_1_1,00.html

which links to the books with the 2010 results (test performed in 2009): http://browse.oecdbookshop.org/oecd/pdfs/free/9810071e.pdf

Raw 2009 results (released December 2010) in .xls file: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/888932381399

sergio said:
The need for English language education, just one example of the system's failings, is great yet the government makes no effort to improve so Argentina remains unprepared for the demands of the 21st century.
Totally agree.

There is even a very cheap way to achieve this. English television movies for children who can read, with Spanish subtitles.

My daughter learned German in no time watching the German language version "Sesam Strasse" of the English "Sesame street".

tomdesigns said:
That is an excuse.. you do not need the government to educate you PERIOD! If you Aregentines want better education you can make it as collective working together without the government.

And that is one of biggest problems you have in this country... you expect the gevernment to do things for you.

My mother and my father educated me far more then my schools in the US. They made me read books I did not want to read at certain ages. They went over all my homework with me every night without fail and added to it with things they wanted me to learn and understand.

They made me wash the damn dishes every night starting when I was 8 years old. They made me get a job when I was 16... that is if wanted decent clothes to wear because they informed that they were done paying for my clothes.

When I was 14 and 15 I worked on farms in the summer picking berries all day because I wanted some extra cash... My mother found the work for me and my brother and took us to from work every day.. we earned a whooping 15 cents for every quart we picked. At the end of the summer I managed to save about $200 USD after 2 months of that work.

Bottom line they educated me and schools just filled in the gaps with required information.

You are right - in part. Your patents had an mindset that many people lack. They wanted you to achieve, so they made an extra effort to see to it that you did your homework and they helped you whenever they could. Not everyody is like that though. I do agree that where there is a WILL to learn the person usually CAN learn. Asians are especially good at this. They can live under the WORST conditions and get ahead by hard work and study. Argentina's problem is, to a very large extent, cultural. Still there is a need for improved public education.

olynor, right now I don´t much care for an ideal choice as long as it doesn´t have any huge negatives. All I want is some relief from what I thought was shaping up here in this country but seems to have failed to do so. I am sure I´ll be missing loads of things, but I mean the prices are getting scary and the quality of things does not seem to keep up, and that is an understatement. I am the most regular guy ever so I don´t require anything fancy, but I don´t like things breaking down all the time and paying top peso for it. I smell a rat and I dont want to sound like Lilita Carrio (in fact, dont much care for her reasons) but I think a bubble is in the making, a different type of corralito, this time from another sector of society.

falucho, I am not posing as a translator. Anyway, who cares? We´d be much better served as a society if we returned to the culture of trades (oficios) that Argentina used to have and was open to all who could add, subtract read and write, rather than the cliqueish professionalism that replaced it.

Cortazar´s translation of Edgar Allan poe´s work is considered a classic in Spanish, or so I´m told.

Back to the grind, peace.

Hahaha, Canut, I dont think you are not a translator. You need a diploma and certification.

I think you are an argentino progre who never worked in a profession. You do not have a curriculum, you are a vago.

So Argentina´s problem is their professions, because people are not like you, vagos without diplomas or curriculums. Hahahaha.

ghost said:
Perry.....you should visit your proctologist and have your head extracted from that dark place. Commodity prices will soar, yes. Argentina on the other hand will squander the opportunity as it historically does.

In a country like ours this really depends on whose president at the time. If Cristina continues...squander will ocurr (theft and corruption as well). If someone with more republican democratic ideas is elected, then there is a good chance we will start taking full advantage of this huge pile of money coming to us every year from commodities. Again, it sadly ends up depending on whose in charge

Back