Is It Legal To Do Online Exchange For Bringing $Usd?

Huxley1234

Registered
Since I'm not from the USA, I've been using Exchange4free to transfer cash from my bank into Argentina (instead of Xoom, but it's basically the same). I've done it twice, and every time the rate is higher ($6.10, $615). But those first two times was with a small sum (around $300 to $500 USD).

I am now waiting on a much larger sum to come though, around $2,000 USD all at once.

Every time I pick up the money from the location, a third party money transfer service similar to Wester Union, I get hassled by the clerks. I have to provide a photocopy of my passport and answer a series of questions about what the money is for, and who is sending it. Each time I simply tell the truth: "The money is mine, I made it at my job back home, I am using it while on vacation here in ARG, I sent it to myself."

Wondering if there are any laws against what I am doing, and if I should careful about how I am answering these questions. I can't think of it being illegal for any reason, but with all the laws around not bringing USD into the country, I wanted to know for sure. Hopefully you guys know specifically if I am all good, or doing something illegal?

All I can say is " Question Authority !!"

Some piss ant clerk making minimum wage deserves no such information. Your answer was perfect.

I don't think anyone cares too much about money coming INTO Argentina. Leaving on the other hand... different story.

As for the questions, I believe the companies are supposed to be reporting transactions to the gov't and they need that info to fill out the gov't forms. I'm guessing the gov't wants to know about overseas accounts for residents and how people earned the money that is getting sent into Argentina. Since it doesn't sound like you are a resident, I'd say you have zero issues to worry about.

Rulers care mostly about oppressing the locals and know better than to mess with the foreigners, unless they're shaking them down for personal benefit. But, if you're not a "team player" you might end up facing trouble like Felisa Miceli.

Incoming money is not an issue.

Rulers care mostly about oppressing the locals and know better than to mess with the foreigners, unless they're shaking them down for personal benefit. But, if you're not a "team player" you might end up facing trouble like Felisa Miceli.

Explica porfavor

People here on this website are always asking about what is legal and what is not. In Argentina, honestly, you really never know with most things (a major problem in this country...what is right and wrong????). If you did the transfer already, then it was probably fine. I would keep using that business, even if you might have read somewhere it wasn't legal, because it still might be. You just never really know in Argentina. Just go with what works, and you are usually fine. If something happens, you really can legitimately claim you did not know it was illegal, and since it's true and you are a foreigner, they will believe you.

Felisa Miceli.was a former Finance Minister of Nestor K who was "found" with a bundle of money in her office and left discredited in 2007 I recall. The whole thing stank. She was less of a puppet than those who followed under the current president who one suspects had something to do with the unseating.

But as you are not a Finance Minister this is so BTW :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how you got on moving the larger sum of money. Thanks for posting for the non-USA types who have this issue

As for the way you deal with clerks who dont earn much money you can behave like a previous poster advised and become an ignorant arrogant tosser - and Portenos (people from the City) have a reputation for this - or you can choose your own way.

Someone previously posted the new long form which Xoom had to complete for AFIP every time their service is used requiring extensive information about money coming into the country. So that explains all the questions. As for showing a copy of your passport then that is because you dont have a DNI which is used routinely for identification for totally everything! Even by the swimming attendant when you want to go swimming :D

Just enjoy life and avoid getting paranoid :eek: - difficult in Bs As but obviously possible - after all look at all the happy smiling messages posted on here everyday!! :p

ignorant arrogant tosser -

I like this term !!! Was certainly not proposing to use what I assume it means. It is entirely possible to question authority , and be polite about it. I really find it better to smile your way through things and kill them with kindness. However , I would never reveal too much information about myself to anyone without absolute necessity. And then only to a manager or supervisor.

Smiley face missed out first time too - but you miss the point! Questioning authority is one thing.

Describing someone as "Some piss ant clerk making minimum wage" is another. That is sheer arrogance. :mad:

The questions being asked of the OP are reasonable given the demands that AFIP are making on money transfer agencies such as Xoom.

Hence self evident ignorance. :mad:

Tosser? Well that is vernacular added for verisimilitude! :lol:

Always happy to help with vocabulary :p

*added you will see that "Tosser" is considered to be acceptable Parliamentary Language

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/6199414.stm

Back