Is it normal? Bank Transfers

porterel

Registered
I will be moving to BA in April and am arranging for my Spanish classes now. The school I want to attend (ILEE) is asking for payment in advance via international bank transfer (to Citibank). I don't see an obvious cause for concern, but have never been asked to pay in this way before. Can someone tell me if this is normal in Argentina? I've been led to understand that it is...thank you!

I dont know about it. But I think you might search on line for other Spanish schools in Buenos Aires and ask for it. I read many good comments about the school called Vamos (on Avenida Coronel Diaz 1700). Also CUI (Junin 222) is known as a good school.

Most companies won't accept international bank transfers (to Argentina) as the money can get stuck in central bank and they are unable to release it for weeks....I have had money stuck several times with central bank, it's a pain in the proverbial and I'd advise an alternative payment method.

I think it is odd that they are asking for payment that far in advance. There are many Spanish schools and spanish teachers here in the city. I would choose a different one.

Payment in advance before arriving is not normal.

I wouldn't trust a large school that asks for payment in advance, but then does not give you a credit card payment option.

April is not high-season. They will find a place for you if you show up at your door with cash in hand, believe me.

I have taken classes several times at COINED and each time have had to pay in advance for early registration. That said, you can also just wait and check out schools when you arrive (as I did the first time). They will be happy to take your credit card at that time.

It's not normal, but a lot of businesses here work on a cash basis--even buying real estate.

Back