is it possible to renounce/cancel/waive temporary residency?

g_c

Registered
anybody have any experience with this? can i waive my temporary residency and go back to the 90 day tourist stamp or do i have to wait until it expires and just not renew?

g_c said:
anybody have any experience with this? can i waive my temporary residency and go back to the 90 day tourist stamp or do i have to wait until it expires and just not renew?

Even if you stay here on tourist visa ad over 183 days in a financial year, you are still a tax resident here.

Might as well renew your residency.

that's the thing, i'm not sticking around here so i might as well waive it if it's possible before it expires.

Ceviche said:
Even if you stay here on tourist visa ad over 183 days in a financial year, you are still a tax resident here.

Might as well renew your residency.

Do permatourists that spend most of the year here are liable for taxes on foreign income?
Help

Rich One said:
Do permatourists that spend most of the year here are liable for taxes on foreign income?
Help

In theory yes. If you are here for more than 180 days, you are considered a resident of Argentina for tax purposes. And as a resident, you should be paying taxes on domestic/foreign income.

In reality, no. The system isn't even st up for a permatourist to pay taxes on income here, let alone outside of Arg. Seriously, try it. There literally is no way to pay without having a DNI. And AFIP has no way of knowing/tracking any foreign income for citizens or residents, let alone permatourists.

ok, back to the original question please.

i'm not concerned with income or my legal job here. i'm concerned with the car that was brought into the country with tourist import papers that are valid until december of this year. the last time i tried to drive into uruguay for the weekend AFIP confiscated the car and now wants me to register the car here. i'm not going to do that and i'm trying to figure out how to get the car back.

you can constantly renew the import papers of your car.

As for having it confiscated, it happened to us once : an attempt to confiscate it at the boarder. there they said we can't get the car out of the country because we have a DNI. We left the car at buquebus, and rented one in Uruguay.

maybe you can get advice on what to do at Argenmove, they do our car, and they know the laws.

katti said:
you can constantly renew the import papers of your car.

As for having it confiscated, it happened to us once : an attempt to confiscate it at the boarder. there they said we can't get the car out of the country because we have a DNI. We left the car at buquebus, and rented one in Uruguay.

maybe you can get advice on what to do at Argenmove, they do our car, and they know the laws.

Katti please explain.... you meant because we did not have a DNI..??
Thanks I'm in that situation...!!

Rich One said:
Katti please explain.... you meant because we did not have a DNI..??
Thanks I'm in that situation...!!

because we have...

A foreigner can drive a foreign car and leave or enter freely. As soon as you have DNI you are not allowed to leave the country with a foreign car.

We asked the agent if we should have shown our passport instead of DNI, but he said that with our DNI we are "in the system', so we can't get around that.

So as long as your just a tourist, its fine. In the beginning, when we were still tourists, my husband used to drive to uruguay every few months to get his documents in order, then we started doing it through Argenmove (the car not leaving the country). But when we wanted to go on a trip to Uruguay this year, we wouldn't take the car.

Rich One,

If you have an AR registered car you can not leave the country without having residency. I'm not sure if this means permanent & temporary residents or just permanent.

And as Katti explained, If you have a foreign registered car your car can not leave the country once you have residency but again, I'm not sure if this applies to temporary residents. I hope it doesn't. Or else I have to wait until my residency expires.

Katti, do you have permanent or temporary status?

If you have a foreign car with the import papers, make sure the import papers match your papers and the car's papers/plates.

i'm currently dealing with both situations. so i may have to wait until my temp residency expires AND have the power of attorney signed by the original driver that brought the car in saying that I can drive it out.

Back