is it possible to renounce/cancel/waive temporary residency?

Up to now we have temporary residency.

We are now going into Permanent residency, so I could tell you more about what to do with a foreign car later.

We are looking into nationalizing it. We are told that if the car has been here for more then 2 years, you can import the car at value in the country of origin. For us this would work out well as the car is worth a fortune here but as good as nothing in Belgium. If it is taxed on value here, it is impossible. Also we can't sell the car here.

it is all extremely complicated...

Looks like I'll be waiting until my residency expires before driving to Uruguay again. thanks for the info Katti.

If I'm successful in repossessing my car from AFIP by using the old import papers that are still valid and the power of attorney I'll post up my experience for others to learn from, if interested.

katti said:
Up to now we have temporary residency.

We are now going into Permanent residency, so I could tell you more about what to do with a foreign car later.

We are looking into nationalizing it. We are told that if the car has been here for more then 2 years, you can import the car at value in the country of origin. For us this would work out well as the car is worth a fortune here but as good as nothing in Belgium. If it is taxed on value here, it is impossible. Also we can't sell the car here.

it is all extremely complicated...

Katti . I did own a foreign plate car, went in and out for several years every 6 months, until AFIP intimated me to nationalize it . The Cost to nationalize is the Blue Book Value of the Car FOB. I drove to the country of Origin and sold it...!!

Now I own an Argentine plate car on a tourist visa from what you and g_c say I can't drive to Uruguay.:(

Rich One,

Let's make a deal...
I'm a temp resident, you give me authority to drive your car out and i'll give you the same to drive my foreign car out.

why do you guys buy car in Argentina or import cars here, if all you want to do ultimately is take the cars out of the country.

Ceviche said:
why do you guys buy car in Argentina or import cars here, if all you want to do ultimately is take the cars out of the country.

jejeje:D its the right to circulate according to the Mercosur regulations for tourists. To visit neighbouring countries...:rolleyes:

g_c said:
Rich One,

If you have an AR registered car you can not leave the country without having residency. I'm not sure if this means permanent & temporary residents or just permanent.

It doesn't matter whether it's temporary or permanent, but it MUST be the DNI itself, and not a precaria, or even approved residency but the DNI simply has not arrived yet.

At least, this is the situation at Clorinda, across the border from Asuncion. I found out after a nice 14 hour drive to Asuncion a year and a half ago that the DNI booklet itself is required.

I ended up crossing on the ferry - a nice person in immigrations at the border in Clorinda told me that the ferry crossing was a lot more lax at times and I could try there (but don't tell anyone I told you! he said to me). We tried the ferry crossing and had to plead and beg even there, but the woman who was handling us relented and told us to make sure we passed back via ferry when we returned so they could handle it properly when I crossed again.

My residency (permanent) had been approved, but I hadn't received the DNI yet. I asked the same question about using a passport in lieu of having used my papers (still the precaria because I didn't have my DNI physically yet) to cross and was told the same about being in the system - your residency is linked to your passport.

What had shocked me when I had my problem at the border was that before I had applied for residency I had crossed the border three times with just my passport and an Argentine-registered car with no problems. Once I had requested residency and was in the system, I could not cross until it had been completed and I had the DNI in hand. I didn't realize the rule about taking cars out of the country.

Also, my car was an Argentine-registered car.

ElQueso said:
It doesn't matter whether it's temporary or permanent, but it MUST be the DNI itself, and not a precaria, or even approved residency but the DNI simply has not arrived yet.

At least, this is the situation at Clorinda, across the border from Asuncion. I found out after a nice 14 hour drive to Asuncion a year and a half ago that the DNI booklet itself is required.

I ended up crossing on the ferry - a nice person in immigrations at the border in Clorinda told me that the ferry crossing was a lot more lax at times and I could try there (but don't tell anyone I told you! he said to me). We tried the ferry crossing and had to plead and beg even there, but the woman who was handling us relented and told us to make sure we passed back via ferry when we returned so they could handle it properly when I crossed again.

My residency (permanent) had been approved, but I hadn't received the DNI yet. I asked the same question about using a passport in lieu of having used my papers (still the precaria because I didn't have my DNI physically yet) to cross and was told the same about being in the system - your residency is linked to your passport.

What had shocked me when I had my problem at the border was that before I had applied for residency I had crossed the border three times with just my passport and an Argentine-registered car with no problems. Once I had requested residency and was in the system, I could not cross until it had been completed and I had the DNI in hand. I didn't realize the rule about taking cars out of the country.

Also, my car was an Argentine-registered car.

"....I had crossed the border three times with just my passport and an Argentine-registered car with no problems." :confused:

El Queso...??
If I understand you correctly if I own an argentine-registered car and are on a tourist visa, then I CAN drive out of the country.....???

Rich One said:
"....I had crossed the border three times with just my passport and an Argentine-registered car with no problems." :confused:

El Queso...??
If I understand you correctly if I own an argentine-registered car and are on a tourist visa, then I CAN drive out of the country.....???

I hate to give a for-sure answer here that could cause someone problems - but that is exactly my experience. Being in Argentina, at times nothing feels secure as far as understanding the law - which can change month to month.

I had only a passport, my Argentine insurance (but it has to have MERCOSUR coverage to qualify to take the car out of the country) and a Texas driver's license and passed three times with no problems.

After I had problems crossing the border once I had residency, on my return, I had a discussion with my immigration attorney who told me the same thing as far as non-residency versus residency. I wish I had thought to ask him BEFORE I left! But with my previous experience, it didn't occur to me that having residency would change that ability.

Having said that, the law is indeed capable of changing rapidly. My sister-in-law, for example, lives here with us, with a legalized letter from her parents that allows her to cross from Paraguay into Argentina. For three years she was able to leave Argentina and return to her own country, on the strength of that letter.

Last December (the 12th I believe was the date) they changed the law to require that anyone under age living here with residency must also have a document legalized in Argentina in order to leave the country (even if accompanied by the parents!). We didn't know this on the 18th when she went to fly out - we were checking in at the airport and were told to go talk to immigrations, where they denied her exit. Took us another week to get the papers needed for her to leave.

You never know.

I'd say talk to your insurance company to verify - they may not know, but they should. Or, if it's a trip over to Uruguay and not far if something happens to the contrary, give it a try and see.

Rich One said:
Katti . I did own a foreign plate car, went in and out for several years every 6 months, until AFIP intimated me to nationalize it . The Cost to nationalize is the Blue Book Value of the Car FOB. I drove to the country of Origin and sold it...!!

Now I own an Argentine plate car on a tourist visa from what you and g_c say I can't drive to Uruguay.:(

when you had your foreign car, did you have DNI or not? were you temp or perm resident, or tourist?

Back