Is it really true that if I pay the uber driver by tarjeta, he gets nothing?

This article explains most of it.

"But Uber’s Argentine unit still faces a snag: For most rides, the company does not charge its drivers the 25 percent commission it is theoretically owed. Due to legal and regulatory hurdles, Uber rides in Argentina can only be paid with cash or credit cards issued abroad, which almost no locals have.
When rides are paid in cash, drivers currently have no way to pay Uber its 25 percent commission, leaving many with a growing debt to the company. Commissions from drivers are Uber’s only source of revenue
."

No matter what the game may be, Argentines will always devise a cheat.

I have an issue which seems to be the other way round. I've got an outstanding balance with UBER originating from a trip from Ezeiza where the card simply didn't go through, it's a British card that works on almost every POS here in ARG, I didn't think too much about it, since oh well, if you don't wanna charge me and I'm giving you 2 different cc details, and you even have my paypal on record, what else am I to do.... a few weeks later , i needed uber for an emergency, of course I'd forgotten all about it , when I started the app, there it was , my outstanding balance. I tried everything to pay that, used alternative card (I've got up to 6) nothing worked, needless to say that ended up in a very complicated night (didn't have any cash for some reason). Anyhoo, now I'm at home weeks later, trying to sort this out . Well, it's impossible, I'm reading some thread on tripadvisor with multiple people having the same issue, even when they went back to Europe/USA. They have their accounts on standby, due to a balance that is impossible to settle, and when you contact UBER , there is always a bot that tells you to contact the bank.

The moral of the story is dont use uber. They love letting me get somewhere remote then blocking my account, leaving me stranded. There's taxis en Buenos Aires.

taxis are fine, but this idea that they are an equivalent replacement in terms of quality and user experience is wrong in my opinion.

i would much rather use uber, book with a simple app, ride in (generally) a non-POS vehicle that doesn't smell and ride like it has 300.000 km and pay with a credit card, not cash.

Yeah, taxis are great in very specific circumstances, like getting out of a mall at 3pm, cheaper than uber, does the job , but you can't summon or invoke a taxi by means of magic at 2 a.m. on some random street, nor can you just go down with your two suitcases to a main street in the hopes of finding a taxi. It's 2023.

Back