Is It Time to Bail Out of the US?

gouchobob said:
What are you talking about in the above? Could you elaborate?

The "spineless weasels" currently in power (the SPOTHOR in particular) knew about "torture" (water-boarding) in 2002. They didn't object then. Now they just want to "get even" with Bush. The new "policy" regarding those suspected of plotting future "man made disasters" embraces the "terms" of the Geneva convention regarding prisoners of war. That means that even a raised voice when questioning these "suspects" is prohibited.

As a result, we may not know what hits us...until it's too late.

Just like 9/11.

But the "fallout" will be measurable...on a Geiger counter.

IOW: I do not discount the fact that a future "man created disaster" in the US will involve the use of a "dirty" device.

And the policies of the current administration may prevent the advance "discovery" of the plan for that kind of event (attack).

After almost a week, I wonder why has no one replied to my last post in this thread.

Am I irrational?

Completely off the scale?

Here's your chance, Dudester...

Please share.

I will chime in to say that I have continued to receive emails from people in the US asking about real estate and life in general in Patagonia. Apparently, some of them are concerned about the increase in taxes and putting their dollar somewhere tangible, while they still can.

This is an old thread but an Op-Ed article in NY Times today adresses the thread title.

"But for American workers peering anxiously through their family portholes, the economic ship is still sinking. You can put whatever kind of gloss you want on last week’s jobs numbers, but the truth is that while they may have been a bit better than most economists were expecting, they were still bad, bad, bad."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/opinion/11herbert.html?th&emc=th

Lumber Joe said:
Thanks to Obama, we face this type of stupid initiatives.
Yeah, Obama should never have started the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, neither have pushed the tax cut for the rich through, nor have forced home owners to borrow far beyond their means - how could he be so stupid?
/irony

John.St said:
This is an old thread but an Op-Ed article in NY Times today adresses the thread title.

"But for American workers peering anxiously through their family portholes, the economic ship is still sinking. You can put whatever kind of gloss you want on last week’s jobs numbers, but the truth is that while they may have been a bit better than most economists were expecting, they were still bad, bad, bad."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/opinion/11herbert.html?th&emc=th

Bob Herbert writes well. I read this piece about a week back. Though these are still stray whispers, a few people are starting to mutter about "societal breakdown." The USA is in a state of crisis, up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

steveinbsas said:
After almost a week, I wonder why has no one replied to my last post in this thread.

Am I irrational?

Completely off the scale?

Here's your chance, Dudester...

Please share.
As I understand it, you are in favour of torture.

Nice.

harpo said:
As I understand it, you are in favour of torture.

Nice.

Recently you implied I am a racist.

You've never seen my wedding pictures.

Now you think I am in favor of torture.

I am, if you are referring to a professional (or amateur) dominatrix.

But that doesn't mean I endorse the torture of "prisoners" of war.

And I still I don't see how a raised voice could constitute torture.

(Though some married men I know might be able to argue that one.)

Well I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to interpret what you posted - and what consenting adults get up to in private is fine by me!

As for being a racist, I believe I only commented how Obama seems to get a rougher ride (no imagery intended) than his white predecessors - all of whom could be accused of lying during the oath of office.

Back