Is it worth it to be an Expat in Buenos Aires?

One quick thing! I've noticed that a few of you have voted, but nobody has added any new items to the pro/con quandary. Please feel free to add the things that you like/dislike about living here if you don't already see them on the list! The site is a lark and all in good fun. I hope that you enjoy it too.

MizzMarr said:
One quick thing! I've noticed that a few of you have voted, but nobody has added any new items to the pro/con quandary. Please feel free to add the things that you like/dislike about living here if you don't already see them on the list! The site is a lark and all in good fun. I hope that you enjoy it too.
haven,t you noticed that we are already posting those things on this forum?:rolleyes:

Haha. Indeed. But there you can score and tally all in one place! ;) For so long I would talk about all the things that were great or bad about living here that we finally put it together.

Hi MizzMarr, I read in another thread that after you got the last stamp in your passport you started the process to get a rentist visa, I would like to know if you can tell me if you had to contract a lawyer for this or if you just went to the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones to start the process and how long did it take you to get the visa and things you had to show to get it.

thanks!

Hi Carol. I did use a lawyer for it, and honestly (especially due to all the changing laws, etc.) it was well worth it to have their help. You need to get any appropriate paperwork (FBI report, original copy of your birth certificate apostilled) here first, then translated, and then you can start the process. When I submitted the paperwork they said they'd have a decision in 60 days, but then they asked for additional documentation (which they give 30 days to get--I needed official letters from the states regarding business and income, apostilled) and once I returned those I was given another 60 days for the decision to be made. That said, aside from the wait time to get the original documentation from the time that I got my DNI in hand I'd say it took a little less than 5 months. Good luck!

Thanks for the information, one more question, did you have to set up a bank account with regular income going into it to prove your income?

Carol, I was not required to set up a bank account as part of the process (but I did anyway) but am told that it's possible that immigrations may require that as part of the renewal process.

Back