Is laziness a virtue in Buenos Aires?

some of us are still trying to be PC, but there's a reason this country went from the 10th wealthiest to its current state.

american citizens should take note

Ryoga said:
some of us are still trying to be PC, but there's a reason this country went from the 10th wealthiest to its current state. american citizens should take note

Argentina was once the world's fifth wealthiest country.

Lee - pertinent article. However, in my opinion - perhaps a trifle romanticized :p

You know what I find interesting here (specifically in Cap Fed) - for all the perceived slower pace of life in Argentina - I never get a sense of joie de vie here. Next time you are walking down the street - count the number of people smiling or looking happy. (now subtract from that those that are foreigners;)) It's a very small number.

Even in conversations with my porteño friends - it's rare that they are 100% happy. Something is always hard, always wrong, always upsetting them (be it the crime, the politicians, the futbol team!)

I once had an Argentine friend describe North Americans (and yes, to be specific - people from the US) as reminding him of labradors. Bounding around, tearing things ups (often accidentally), cheerful to the point of excess, easy to get annoyed with and yet somewhat enjoyable.

I often wonder what the analogy for Argentina would be.

citygirl said:

A cat. Self-involved, proud, preening, open to love from others only when it's convenient and to it's own advantage!

citygirl said:
Lee - pertinent article. However, in my opinion - perhaps a trifle romanticized :p

You know what I find interesting here (specifically in Cap Fed) - for all the perceived slower pace of life in Argentina - I never get a sense of joie de vie here. Next time you are walking down the street - count the number of people smiling or looking happy. (now subtract from that those that are foreigners;)) It's a very small number.

Even in conversations with my porteño friends - it's rare that they are 100% happy. Something is always hard, always wrong, always upsetting them (be it the crime, the politicians, the futbol team!)

I once had an Argentine friend describe North Americans (and yes, to be specific - people from the US) as reminding him of labradors. Bounding around, tearing things ups (often accidentally), cheerful to the point of excess, easy to get annoyed with and yet somewhat enjoyable.

They ain't nothin' but hound dogs, cryin' all the time...

I'm a local living in Palermo, I also lived in the US for five years and I know that we Argentinians are not all the time 100% happy or jumping in one leg, but we have a very good sense of humor and we like to chill and be with friends on our spare time.

I have to tell you, I'm no lazy guy, I wake up at 7am every morning, go to work until 6pm, then go to school until 10:30pm and I finally get to my apartment at 11:30pm. That's my whole day, and to be honest, there are a lot of Argentinians that have the same routine I have.

Now.. think about this, how about some of the tourist here in BA, and several of the man/women in the forum that do not work, not even teaching english, that are just here in BA spending money, going out every single night getting drunk and spend every day walking around and doing absolutely nothing..

I think these people are more lazy than some of the Argentinians you mention.

Feel free to reply back to me, PM me, insult me or whatever you want to do, I just had to speak my mind, that's all.

Saludos,

Mariano.

Hola Mariano!

I just want to say that I agree with your first paragraphs, it´s true that many of us work long hours and study, but personally I don´t mind that people come to my country to apparently do nothing.

If they can afford to do it, let them enjoy... I don´t see the harm! maybe they are taking a rest after years of hard work, maybe they robbed a bank back home, I just don´t care.

But really, even though in my habitat is not like that, for some people laziness can be a virtue... check the "estatales", for example, or I can tell you, as someone who is in the Human Resources area, how hard it is to make the people just do their job... Is unfair for the huge amount of hardworking persons who live in this country, but is true.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Newcomers Forum 7
Back