Is the Argentine Economy Going to Collapse?

harpo said:
... making the same mistakes all over again - i.e being oligarchical, isolationist and hostile to business.
Tax on exports - on exports!!!

If you can afford the price we demand, we'll raise it until you no longer want to buy - the idea demands superior understanding of national economy - not.

But! this is an old Argentinian practice, originating in a (sometimes desperate) need of foreign currency to import luxury to the few anointed.

BlahBlah said:
...Argentina needs to pay around 20 milion dollar in 2010 so that should mean that Argentina need to tap the foreign reserves and the peso will continue to slide
Typo: 20,000,000,000 = 20 billion dollars ...

John.St said:
If you can afford the price we demand, we'll raise it until you no longer want to buy - the idea demands superior understanding of national economy - not. . . .
When I first heard that the government of Argentina, still a "developed" (if crumbling) state, levied taxes on its own exports, I actually doubted that I was as competent in Spanish as I had thought. Years later, I'm still amazed that anyone other than a shameless con artist or a fool would discourage the growth of trade in his own favor.

RWS said:
When I first heard that the government of Argentina, still a "developed" (if crumbling) state, levied taxes on its own exports, I actually doubted that I was as competent in Spanish as I had thought. Years later, I'm still amazed that anyone other than a shameless con artist or a fool would discourage the growth of trade in his own favor.
Overwhelmed by the very idea.

I once spent two years studying business and national economy at CBA - neither my professors nor the litterature recommended this practice, they didn't even mention it as a possibility, except as something the kings did in mediaeval times to raise money for luxury at the court.

Reactions: RWS
John.St said:

If you can afford the price we demand, we'll raise it until you no longer want to buy - the idea demands superior understanding of national economy - not.

But! this is an old Argentinian practice, originating in a (sometimes desperate) need of foreign currency to import luxury to the few anointed.

Export-tax makes sense and higher taxes on soy as well but with the right policy

RWS said:

That's what happens if your currency get devalued by 300% overnight

BlahBlah said:
Federalism for starters
Argentina is a federation, in that she has a central government and a parliament and also an elected governor + a parliament in each province. As a matter of fact it is more or less a duplication of the US.

Argentina has a national government + national senate + national congress + local governor + local congress and 7 provinces also have a local senate.

Argentina is constituted as a federation of 23 provinces and an autonomous city, Buenos Aires.

Gobiernos provinciales:

Poder Ejecutivo
El Poder Ejecutivo de las provincias argentinas, en todos los casos está a cargo de una persona con el título de gobernador.

En todas las provincias el gobernador tiene un mandato de cuatro años. En algunos casos puede ser reelegido indefinidamente y en otros no.

En todos los casos, cuando se elige al gobernador, también se elige a un vicegobernador con el fin de reemplazarlo en caso de ausencia, enfermedad, incapacidad o muerte.

Poder Legislativo

Todas las provincias cuentan con un Poder Legislativo con la facultad de sancionar leyes en todas las materias no expresamente delegadas al Poder Legislativo Nacional, las que se encuentran taxativamente determinadas en el art. 75 de la Constitución Nacional.

Algunas provincias cuentan con poderes legislativos bicamerales (senadores y diputados) y otras solo unicamerales (sólo diputados). En aquellas que tienen dos cámaras, los senadores representan a las secciones o departamentos en los que se divide la provincia.

Provincias con Poder Legislativo unicameral: Chaco, Chubut, Córdoba, Corrientes, Formosa, Jujuy, La Pampa, La Rioja, Misiones, Neuquén, Rí, Negro, San Juan, Santa Cruz,Santiago del Estero, Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sur, Tucumán.

Provincias con Poder Legislativo bicameral: Buenos Aires, Catamarca, Entre Ríos, Mendoza, San Luis, Santa Fe, Salta.

In Argentina the term "strong federalism" implies that sub-national states in a number of situations have more power than the national government; it does not imply a strong central government.

So exactly what do you mean?

Back