Is there a way to get USD in BA?

I, for one, wholeheartedly support this idea. No reason to oppose the culture.

I question only why draw the line there.

Why not steal apples from the fruit store? The likelihood you will have charges pressed against you are very, very low.

Most parks have older ladies out for a stroll nearby. Their purses make for ideal targets.

BA is a city where a bit of hustling can get you a long way, for those in the know..

I assume this is irony?

Furthermore, in the market and in common trade likewise, this practice is in full swing and force to the greatest extent, where one openly defrauds another with bad merchandise, false measures, weights, coins, and by nimbleness and queer finances or dexterous tricks takes advantage of him; likewise, when one overcharges a person in a trade and wantonly drives a hard bargain, skins and distresses him. ... Therefore they are also called swivel-chair robbers, land- and highway-robbers, not pick-locks and sneak-thieves who snatch away the ready cash, but who sit on the chair [at home] and are styled great noblemen, and honorable, pious citizens, and yet rob and steal under a good pretext.
— Martin Luther, The Large Catechism

Alternatively, you could stay in your rented apartment and pay... nothing. I mean, during this pandemia, owners can't (legally) throw you out if you have a renting agreement, they can't rise their prices either.
Even if you don't have a formal renting agreement, I'd think the owner can't throw you out during the quarantine.

Plus, is "the owner", the real owner? Food for thought: Half of those Airbnb dudes have no titles of property, so good luck with any judicial process.

The art of never leaving an apartment is part of the culture of Buenos Aires, for those in the know...
This kind of expat gives all a bad name. No wonder so many Argies distrust us.

Alternatively, you could stay in your rented apartment and pay... nothing. I mean, during this pandemia, owners can't (legally) throw you out if you have a renting agreement, they can't rise their prices either.
Even if you don't have a formal renting agreement, I'd think the owner can't throw you out during the quarantine.

Plus, is "the owner", the real owner? Food for thought: Half of those Airbnb dudes have no titles of property, so good luck with any judicial process.

The art of never leaving an apartment is part of the culture of Buenos Aires, for those in the know...

En el artículo 11 el decreto excluye del congelamiento expresamente a los contratos de arrendamiento y aparecería rural contemplados en la ley 13.246 con las excepciones previstas en el artículo 9° inciso 4, y los contratos de locación temporarios previstos en el artículo 1199 del Código Civil y Comercial de la Nación

short and sweet translation: it does not include temporary rentals (such as AirBnb)

This kind of expat gives all a bad name. No wonder so many Argies distrust us.

Why did you chose Argentina to live in, if you have such a German frame of mind?

If one has no viveza criolla, or dislikes the viveza criolla, what is one doing living in Buenos Aires?

There are many countries in the world to live in, so I think that if some expats dislike the latin ways of doing things, said expats should go live in Nordic European States, or Japan, or any other anal-retentive places. Argentina is for fun, latin way of life and yes, viveza criolla.

If one has not understood, and learned to like, the viveza criolla after living years in BsAs, one is not integrated. Don't remain a dour gringo.

It's mu belief that if a person is able to pay, they should pay. To hide behind a decree not to pay when you can ... is PLAIN WRONG.

Anyone who can pay, yet hides behind the decree is simply TRASH! And is no person with any worth in this world.

PLAIN & SIMPLE - I have said it - I have drawn a line ... PURE TRASH!

It takes a man or woman to be a man or woman ... The right path is the harder of the two.

Funny that people who accuse me here to try to "game the system", are all posting on the Western Union thread, where they teach everybody how to... game the system!

I mean, everybody who sends money to himself in Argentina via WU, is currently "shamelessly gaming the system". As one gets almost the dollar-blue exchange rate, instead of the normal inter-banking rate of 65 pesos for the dollar. Isn't that "gaming the system"?

But I guess, it's OK to "game" the AFIP and central bank of Argentina, but it's bad to game some lazy wealthy airbnb host? I personally respect the Argentine institutions, but dislike the Airbnb company.

I mean, everybody who sends money to himself in Argentina via WU, is currently "shamelessly gaming the system".

Do you believe in a free market? There is only one real market rate. And it is the "dolar blue" rate. The government introduced an artificial spread on exchange operations and takes its cut. You have to sell dollars at the low rate established by the government, but you can buy only at the blue rate (well, not counting 200 dollars limit). The government pockets the spread under a pretext of a "solidarity tax".

Funny that people who accuse me here to try to "game the system", are all posting on the Western Union thread, where they teach everybody how to... game the system!

I mean, everybody who sends money to himself in Argentina via WU, is currently "shamelessly gaming the system". As one gets almost the dollar-blue exchange rate, instead of the normal inter-banking rate of 65 pesos for the dollar. Isn't that "gaming the system"?

But I guess, it's OK to "game" the AFIP and central bank of Argentina, but it's bad to game some lazy wealthy airbnb host? I personally respect the Argentine institutions, but dislike the Airbnb company.

As I said before, I agree.

You can make the argument that if you jaywalk, you are breaking the law, so may as well go work for John Gotti.

Those of us, however, that cling to antiquated notions like not actually screwing people just because it’s possible, may balk at the comparison. As well as the comparison between obtaining a favorable exchange rate and living in someone’s place without paying.

You do you, though. Alfredo Coto is making a lot of money, I doubt he’ll miss the few apples I imagine you’re swiping every time you shop there.

=============

On a serious note, I can envision a situation where I would consider the conduct of a given landlord to be so egregious that I would feel justified in this sort of conduct, at least as a negotiating tactic.

Once I’ve decided you’re trying to screw me just because you can, I think the bets are off.

Back