Is there a way to get USD in BA?

BAHibs

Registered
Hi everyone,

I was having a read through the thread and was hoping someone could help clarify for my situation below..

I arrived in BA in March (as a tourist, no DNI / residency etc), I've been staying in an AirBnB and the owner asked if I was interested to stay longer (making an agreement without AirBnB) and could give me a discount if I paid in EUR or USD (I'm planning to stay the rest of the year to see out the corona virus situation).

Firstly is there a way to get USD in BA? From what I understand the only way would be to transfer money using AZIMO or WU, picking this up in pesos and then trying to buy USD at a cueva, would that be correct?

Given that the option to go to Uruguay is currently out of the question I'm assuming it's better to just find an agreement with the owner in pesos?

Thanks.

I have limited experience but assuming the owner doesn't have a foreign bank account you can transfer into and given the quickly changing rate of the peso you're almost certainly personally better off sorting out a price in pesos. You can send to cash pick-up through Western Union, either to yourself or directly to the owner to pick-up themselves if they'd rather. Any discount would be wiped out by the changing exchange rate - do keep in mind that to my knowledge the official rate is 67 pesos, the Western Union rate is 121 pesos and the unofficial blue dollar rate was like 138 pesos to $1, and this has been increasing more this month than in the previous months. Dollars aren't easy to move around and trying to convert from pesos is a bad Idea. If you do set a price in dollars, be mindful of the different rates and how that changes what your effective rent rate would be.

My feeling at the moment is that a peso amount can only benefit you at this point. It's heading into winter and the whole global pandemic thing means you definitely have more options than they do. It should be easy to come to a solution that works for your both.

Hi...I too live in an Airbnb unit. And have been here 3 months and am going to stay and I want Airbnb units. My owner now has a U.S. account. I am going to look at a new unit today. No local owners are going to know about W.U. And, to me, their usual ideas about adjust this and adjust that are a pain in the xxx. I am going to offer the new unit owner the W.U. rate each month. There are 300+ units for rent in B.A.....and maybe two renters...you and me. If he doesn't like it then I will walk out. If he doesn't like it he is too dumb to work with. And ask for big discounts. Another idea...when you look for units on Airbnb put your dates in as four months. It will reveal longer term availability. It's a buyers market, sure in dollars, but still a buyers market and nobody is buying. Message me if you care to.

You can send to cash pick-up through Western Union, either to yourself or directly to the owner to pick-up themselves if they'd rather.
If the owner doesn't have a US bank account, he is more likely to accept a deal in pesos if you send the cash pick up to yourself. If the owner wants to make a deal outside of the parameters of AirBnB, he/she may not agree to receiving the rent payment every month via WU where he/she has to do the cash pick up and sign a declaracion jurada which includes the origen of the funds and his CUIT number...exposure to AFIP?

Hi everyone,

I was having a read through the thread and was hoping someone could help clarify for my situation below..

I arrived in BA in March (as a tourist, no DNI / residency etc), I've been staying in an AirBnB and the owner asked if I was interested to stay longer (making an agreement without AirBnB) and could give me a discount if I paid in EUR or USD (I'm planning to stay the rest of the year to see out the corona virus situation).

Alternatively, you could stay in your rented apartment and pay... nothing. I mean, during this pandemia, owners can't (legally) throw you out if you have a renting agreement, they can't rise their prices either.
Even if you don't have a formal renting agreement, I'd think the owner can't throw you out during the quarantine.

Plus, is "the owner", the real owner? Food for thought: Half of those Airbnb dudes have no titles of property, so good luck with any judicial process.

The art of never leaving an apartment is part of the culture of Buenos Aires, for those in the know...

Alternatively, you could stay in your rented apartment and pay... nothing. I mean, during this pandemia, owners can't (legally) throw you out if you have a renting agreement, they can't rise their prices either.
Even if you don't have a formal renting agreement, I'd think the owner can't throw you out during the quarantine.

Plus, is "the owner", the real owner? Food for thought: Half of those Airbnb dudes have no titles of property, so good luck with any judicial process.

The art of never leaving an apartment is part of the culture of Buenos Aires, for those in the know...

or you could not be a POS and do things the right way

or you could not be a POS and do things the right way
I want to see an honorable adult in the mirror when I see my reflection. And to me, that means not gaming the system because I can. Being up and up ... treating others as I would want them to treat me ... EVEN IF THEY DO NOT TREAT ME AS I WOULD HOPE. I'll take the high road every time. Things have a way of catching up with you ... particularly if you have not been on the good side ... it's called karma. The Hindus have this one very correct. But to each their own ... pay today or PAY DOUBLE TOMORROW!!

I, for one, wholeheartedly support this idea. No reason to oppose the culture.

I question only why draw the line there.

Why not steal apples from the fruit store? The likelihood you will have charges pressed against you are very, very low.

Most parks have older ladies out for a stroll nearby. Their purses make for ideal targets.

BA is a city where a bit of hustling can get you a long way, for those in the know..

I, for one, wholeheartedly support this idea. No reason to oppose the culture.

I question only why draw the line there.

Why not steal apples from the fruit store? The likelihood you will have charges pressed against you are very, very low.

Most parks have older ladies out for a stroll nearby. Their purses make for ideal targets.

BA is a city where a bit of hustling can get you a long way, for those in the know..

Thank you , Ben.

Back