Is there another Buenos Aires???

Utopos

Registered
http://expatargentina.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/cost-of-living-update-in-buenos-aires-argentina/

This link is on the BAEXPAT homepage. Apparently there exist another Buenos Aires, perhaps in a more ideal alternate universe (???) where a:

"...2 bed/2 bath apartment, in the Palermo area (a top neighborhood), of reasonable to nice ambiance/amenities, about 70 square meters, will cost about 700 to 900 US dollars per month."

Oh, and...

"You can still easily get an apartment like this for 500 dollars per month in many parts of the city"

***THIS IS DATED AUGUST 12, 2012***

Can anyone Google the directions, because that isn't possible in this universe! It sounds SO GOOD... I bet they have unlimited imports and stare blankly when you say the name Christina.

RachinBA said:
one of her minions probably wrote it.

The web-site says .... About Expat Argentina

"Daniel Karlin is an American born, bilingual 5 year veteran of Argentina. His wife, Lourdes, who also contributes to this blog, is a Buenos Aires born bilingual Argentine. Together they own and operate Anuva Wines and a few other small businesses in Buenos Aires and the U.S.

This blog is born of their own dealings with various expat issues such as buying and selling property, getting a DNI, traveling, starting businesses, hiring people, procuring services, dealing with language barriers and cultural barriers and much more."

Strikes me these COULD BE rip=off merchants alternatively just trying to make a living in difficult times and maybe telling a few fibs on the way.

Cristina doesnt have a monopoly of any of these! :D

Doesn't seem that crazy to me. I think they're talking about unfurnished long-term rentals, right?

A 5 minute search on craigslist yields a furnished 2br 70sqm place in Palermo for 1100USD/month with all bills included:

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/apa/3126855585.html

Unfurnished should be a few hundred dollars less per month, no? Or is that not how it works anymore? I imagine if you were really searching you could probably find something cheaper, but I haven't had to look for 7 years.

lol the top left corner says " No Peanut Butter in Argentina"

I can buy peanut butter in Jumbo,out here in the "campo"...It is like one of the few "expat" foods readily available

lol they say: The “No Peanut Butter in Argentina” subtitle of this blog is meant to draw attention to this small detail of life in Argentina as emblematic of cultural divide: one of the most common comfort foods in the U.S. is peanut butter. Whether on toast, on a bagel, with jelly, with chocolate or by the spoonful, this is an extremely common topping for Americans, especially children, who grow up looking forward to PBJs for lunch. It’s so common, we call it PBJ. In Argentina, that concept does not exist.........

We rent a 2 ambientes apartment in Belgrano, four blocks from Cabildo, for $2000 pesos a month. Expenses are $300 pesos. Water, electric, and gas are ~200 pesos, max. And then there's ABL, which wasn't that bad, but I can't remember how much it was. So, more or less $2600 pesos per month. That's $560 USD at the official rate.

The apartment wasn't furnished, and we are obviously talking about "Argentine prices," not what you'd get on the tourist market.

So yes, these prices are still possible, but not so much for those without a DNI and a garantia.

By the way, I do think Buenos Aires is incredibly expensive relative to local salaries, and expats who talk about how cheap it is compared to the US don't have much experience living on a budget.

It is totally possible.
http://aviso.zonaprop.com.ar/786933-guatemala-6000-palermo-capital-federal
If you want good prices visit websites that local people use to find apartments.
This one is 80m2, brand new, 2 bedrooms, 3 baths and costs 4500 pesos. I'm sure if you offer to pay him Billetes dolares he'll probably pay your utilities as well.
This particular one Looks like it might be taken, but according to this site. There ar 198 properties under 1000 usd in Palermo. 84 from 70 to 90m2.

Back