Is there another Buenos Aires???

Nothing in this blog says anything about a 2-year rental. The default assumption MUST be for a short term rental, since it is from an expat perspective. You complain about the availability of spices... is that so much easier to obtain than a garantía???

I would be so happy if someone could show me where a two-bedroom, two bath apartment is READILY AVAILABLE anywhere in Palermo for those prices.

"Rent for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment, in the Palermo area (a top neighborhood), of reasonable to nice ambiance/amenities, about 70 square meters, will cost about 700 to 900 US dollars per month. More if you want bigger and nicer, less (WAY WAY LESS!!!!) if you go to another neighborhood and have modest accommodations"

Delusional

I live in a 3-bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 90 m2 apartment, 3 balconies, full air and heat in every room, gorgeous new kitchen, 1/2 block from Cabildo and Subte in Belgrano. $3,200ARS per month + $1000 total expensas. It turned out to be the HIGHEST priced apartment of the same size that we found after 2 full months of looking (visited 25 apartments). We have a garantia from the provincia that they wouldn't accept so they took two extra month's rent as security instead. That is the second time I've rented long-term in Argentina without a garantia.

Utopos said:
Nothing in this blog says anything about a 2-year rental. The default assumption MUST be for a short term rental, since it is from an expat perspective.

Why? Plenty of expats have garantias. Lots of expats are here with work, in which case their companies can provide it. Others are here with family or their partners, in which case their families or friends can provide it.

In my case, the company arranged my first garantia, and a close friend my second. One of my friends arranged my last one. I pay 3000 pesos a month for 70m in las canitas. Most of my friends live in palermo, colegiales and chacarita and pay much less.

So I guess in answer to the title of this thread - yes there is another Buenos Aires.

There are several neighborhoods that are nice in BA but that expatriates don't live in. They're also much cheaper, although it's hard to find furnished temporary apartments. Also, they may or may not have much night life. I live in Caballito, and it's got great transportation and restaurants all within walking distance, and it's much cheaper on the whole than Recoleta/Barrio Norte/Palermo, and there are also temporary rental places to get. You can also try these neighborhoods that are nice: Villa de Voto (not a lot of transportation), Villa Urquiza (great neighborhood with train, subway, and bus), Villa del Parque (not so pretty but has some great residential areas, has subway in some parts), parts of Flores (figure out which parts are nice and which aren't), Saveedra (not a lot of transporation). These are all great neighborhoods with cheaper prices than the usual tourist/foreigner places.

I found this board thanks to another member who has come to Argentina on a regular basis for many years.
When we met I was living in Retiro/Recoleta and have since moved to Caballito. While not a foreigner, I find Caballito suits me better that Recoleta did (lived there 30+ years).
My expat friend had been trying different neighborhoods on each trip and on his last I told him he should give Caballito a try. I think he really liked it.

As others have stated (Jaredberryman and Henry Nisental), Caballito is nice and cheaper.
When Logan and I went scouting for furnished appartments to rent they were plenty nearby.

Iznogud said:
I found this board thanks to another member who has come to Argentina on a regular basis for many years.
When we met I was living in Retiro/Recoleta and have since moved to Caballito. While not a foreigner, I find Caballito suits me better that Recoleta did (lived there 30+ years).
My expat friend had been trying different neighborhoods on each trip and on his last I told him he should give Caballito a try. I think he really liked it.

As others have stated (Jaredberryman and Henry Nisental), Caballito is nice and cheaper.
When Logan and I went scouting for furnished appartments to rent they were plenty nearby.

Agreed Caballito is currently HEAVING with appts for rent - lived there for 8 years and its got everything as a barrio except good restaurants - the pizza, milanesa offfering with bright lighting and folks drinking red wine and soda water makes you want to slit your wrists after a while...the old traditional ones do make you feel part of the neighbourhood as the owners start to welcome you to their circle over time (El Farol, Dele perejil at toro..) Caballito is a real lottery with regards to where to live as some streets are so delapidated and others are v Palermo with renovated houses, pools etc. but is worth the effort as it has such great transport links to the microcenter etc

I'm leaving BA Sept 5 if anyone is looking for an apartment... across from Botanico on Las Heras 22 floor, great views, fully furnished 90m2, 2 1/2 bedrooms. Not sure if the landlord will keep the same price but we're paying 3200/month + 1000 expenses (guarantee 2 year contract local rates).

Caballito is nice have a cpl of friends that live there and a friend of my gf. Good central location, right on Linea A and plenty of buses etc. Pretty clean too. However, just this morning my gf was telling me her friend was complaining about the lack of parks. I dont know if this is true. Perhaps with the lack of restaurants its one of the reasons its a little cheaper? Not sure.

trennod said:
Caballito is nice have a cpl of friends that live there and a friend of my gf. Good central location, right on Linea A and plenty of buses etc. Pretty clean too. However, just this morning my gf was telling me her friend was complaining about the lack of parks. I dont know if this is true. Perhaps with the lack of restaurants its one of the reasons its a little cheaper? Not sure.[/quote

What Caballito doesnt lack is parks - Parque rivadavia is so clean and family friendly -Parque centennario is huge,less clean but great for bike riding and football - la olaya is one close to where we lived and had a great paved area for roller blading and cycling.

I think the best place is in the countryfields. Like Escobar or Pilar. You should visit them.
Also, if u wanna learn some good spanish you should contact the "Bueno Dale!" School people. buenodale.com

Back