Is there any benefit to permanent resident status?

P
Well, Macri is out. Simple. FF is not a xenophobic like him.
If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that a new administration takes over on Dec 10, not that there will be any changes in the applicable law, per se. If, as you also say, FF is not xenophobic as is Macric, then it stands to reason that immigration policies/enforcement would be more relaxed, not less relaxed. That would make it easier for people like me to enter and leave frequently (as long as they didn't violate existing law by overstaying).
Am I misunderstanding you?

You cannot abuse when you exercise a right. The Preamble of the NC invite all the people of the world to immigrate to Argentina if they are working honest people.
Exactly, that's my point. The OP is doing nothing wrong, so other posters suggesting he will become "countryless" or is lucky because Argentina is not the United States are misunderstanding the situation.

P

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that a new administration takes over on Dec 10, not that there will be any changes in the applicable law, per se. If, as you also say, FF is not xenophobic as is Macric, then it stands to reason that immigration policies/enforcement would be more relaxed, not less relaxed. That would make it easier for people like me to enter and leave frequently (as long as they didn't violate existing law by overstaying).
Am I misunderstanding you?
Almost. FF is going to abolish the DNU 70/2017. No doubt.

For those of us who are not Argie lawyers or who are otherwise incapable of understanding legal citations, pray tell, what is DNU 70/2017 ?
Moreover, if abolishing it makes coming and going harder, then why do you say FF is not xenophobic as is Macri. (It would seem the contrary should be true.)

For those of us who are not Argie lawyers or who are otherwise incapable of understanding legal citations, pray tell, what is DNU 70/2017 ?
Moreover, if abolishing it makes coming and going harder, then why do you say FF is not xenophobic as is Macri. (It would seem the contrary should be true.)

Just from a quick Google search, it appears that DNU 70/2017 makes it easier fro the government to deport people. Abolishing it would be beneficial for frequent visitors. That's why I believe Bajo says FF is not as xenophobic.

Just from a quick Google search, it appears that DNU 70/2017 makes it easier fro the government to deport people. Abolishing it would be beneficial for frequent visitors. That's why I believe Bajo says FF is not as xenophobic.
Okay, then there will be even less, not more, reason for someone like me to seek permanent resident status after Dec 10.

Okay, then there will be even less, not more, reason for someone like me to seek permanent resident status after Dec 10.

Let me throw an other variable/perspective into the mix.

Permanent residency gives you a longer period of insurance against a hardening in immigration policy.

This is the case as temporary residence has to be renewed and re granted yearly wheras permenant residence does not.

This has happened before by the way (most recently, the (now apparently to be abolished) regulation mentioned above in this thread) and there are many scenarios under which similar things could of course happen again.

The current status quo where an apparently ever renewable temp residency , under our current generous/easy conditions, could become a thing of the past from one day to the next.

So in relation to this perspective, it really depends on how risk averse you are.

You can reasonably evaluate that the peace of mind of having permenant residency in a politically (and therefore legally) unstable regime, as well as not having to deal with burocracy as often, has a certain value.

The same applies to citizenship, even moreso.

You can also of course reasonably evaluate the variables differently and reach the opposite conclusion.

Good luck in any case.

Cheers!

Edit: I re-read your original post and see you are married to an Argentine. An other potential scenario in your specific case (which I've actually seen happen , though in another country), is that you end up divorcing and wanting to stay in Arg, but are then unable to renew a temp residency through spousal connection. (No offence, I obviously wish you all the best in your marriage, but you did ask about benefits of perm residency).

Last edited:
My cousin is an experienced Argentine accountant. His advice is: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES take up permanent residency here. The rules are too unpredictable, and liable to change from one day to the next according to the whims of those in power.

Last edited:
My cousin is an experienced Argentine accountant. His advice is: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES take up permanent residency here. The rules are too unpredictable, and liable to change from one day to the next according to the whims of those in power.

That was basically my point in relation to relying on temp residency. Though it's probably far less of a risk for someone relying on the the spousal grounds as opposed to, for example, a rentista.

Cheers!

Can you expand on this? Which rules are unpredictable? Residency rules? Taxes? something else?

Back