Is there market demand for fresh oyster mushrooms (hongos girgolas) in Buenos Aires?

expat0tree

Registered
I'm considering growing oyster mushrooms in zona sur and wonder if anyone has a clue whether or not there is a reasonable demand. I intend to grow them on small scale and market directly to high end restaurants and people who might be interested in buying small amounts on mercado libre but I'm not sure if there is enough interest in gourmet mushrooms in Capital Federal and around GBA. There doesn't seem to be anyone else in zona sur growing these kinds of mushroom so i figured it's a good idea (I have some experience), most of the mushrooms for sale are the typical white button and portabello for mass sale in the supermarkets, nothing medicinal or exotic.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• oyster.jpg
    oyster.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm considering growing oyster mushrooms in zona sur and wonder if anyone has a clue whether or not there is a reasonable demand. I intend to grow them on small scale and market directly to high end restaurants and people who might be interested in buying small amounts on mercado libre but I'm not sure if there is enough interest in gourmet mushrooms in Capital Federal and around GBA. There doesn't seem to be anyone else in zona sur growing these kinds of mushroom so i figured it's a good idea (I have some experience), most of the mushrooms for sale are the typical white button and portabello for mass sale in the supermarkets, nothing medicinal or exotic.

What do you guys think?

To be honest Argentinian people are the least likely to eat mushrooms of any race I know . Australians and asians love mushrooms and you will see them in many dishes in their countries . Here in Buenos Aires its very rare to see them on the menu . The mindset here is also conservative and especially with trying something new . Sorry

To be honest Argentinian people are the least likely to eat mushrooms of any race I know . Australians and asians love mushrooms and you will see them in many dishes in their countries . Here in Buenos Aires its very rare to see them on the menu . The mindset here is also conservative and especially with trying something new . Sorry

ouch...

One of my favorite dishes here is Pollo al Champinon. It's on the menu of most Argie cafes.

Back